Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to order 3" lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with 225K miles
Default About to order 3" lift

Hey guys! So after much research I am just about ready to order my "custom" Lift. Its a pieced together lift from a few different companies. Any input, suggestions, opinions are grealty appreciated and encouraged. Thanks.
Im ordering

-OME CS033RB rear leaf springs
-Energy suspension leaf spring/shackle bushing kit
-U-bolts from IRO
-IRO Trac bar
-Rusty's 3" Coil Spring

I have also purchased Rubicon shocks (red) as well as RE superflex LCAs (lightly used)

what do you guys think?
Old 05-19-2015, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.5L Stroker

Sounds like a good foundation. Later add some no lift shackle relocation brackets and you'll have a great riding rig. Very similar to my rig.

I went with 4.5" rubicon express coils with OME cso33rb leafs with relocation brackets and extended shackles. I still need some better shocks but ride is soft and I'm very pleased.

Last edited by MoparNJeep; 05-21-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

I ran the Rubicon shocks when I was at 3.5" lift and ride was good
I'm running cheap white Body shocks now and ride is not as great but still nice .

Last edited by MoparNJeep; 05-21-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by MoparNJeep
Sounds like a good foundation. Layer add some no lift shackle relocation brackets and you'll have a great riding rig. Very similar to my rig.

I went with 4.5" rubicon express coils with OME cso33rb leafs with relocation brackets and extended shackles. I still need some better shocks but ride is soft and I'm very pleased.
Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. I'm just curious as to why shackle relocation brackets?
Old 05-20-2015, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Your best buy for the buck and with the best leafs would be to go with the Rustys 3" full leaf/coil kit for $438 and run those shocks for a while till you can buy some Bilsteins.

Still need a adj track bar and transfer case drop kit.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

and FWIW you can order the CS033RA OME leafs and remove one leaf to get 3.5", or stick with the RB full pack at 3.5.....Dirk at DPG told me the RA's ride softer than the RB's
Old 05-21-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Your best buy for the buck and with the best leafs would be to go with the Rustys 3" full leaf/coil kit for $438 and run those shocks for a while till you can buy some Bilsteins.

Still need a adj track bar and transfer case drop kit.
Well for what rustys package offers plus shipping it was cheaper to go wth what I listed. Not by much but still enough to make a difference in my decision. Plus I feel like you can't go wrong with OME leaf springs. I did order a trac bar from IRO I figured might as well get that out of the way now. I appreciate the input though. Hopefully I can get away without the transfer case drop but ill see how it feels after everything is installed.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by mikesignal
and FWIW you can order the CS033RA OME leafs and remove one leaf to get 3.5", or stick with the RB full pack at 3.5.....Dirk at DPG told me the RA's ride softer than the RB's
Oh don't tell me that! I already orders the RBs. Haha but I'll try them out. If I ever wanted to go higher I could use a shackle for an extra inch. I wonder why the RAs ride smoother?
Old 05-21-2015, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

The relocation brackets will make your ride even smoother and flex better. I think what you got will work great. At 3" s of lift I would not do a t case drop. Worse advice ever there. I doubt you will have vibes but if you do check your rear drive shaft u-joints. If they are good order yourself a set of 4○ axle shims and you'll be good to go. A t-case drop is a loss of a inch of belly clearace and not worth the effort.

Custom lifts like what you got picked out will ride nice from quality springs and you get better components While saving money. Amazon has those cso33rb leafs for $265 shipped by the way. And you will want to remove the 3rd longest leaf in the pack to sit just about level maybe .5" higher in back. They are a great riding spring.

Also hope you bought rubber leaf spring bushings, poly is noisy and annoying
Old 05-21-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by dieselace74
Oh don't tell me that! I already orders the RBs. Haha but I'll try them out. If I ever wanted to go higher I could use a shackle for an extra inch. I wonder why the RAs ride smoother?
must be a different spring rate.....the RB's are supposed to be 3.5"-full leaf pack, 2.5" with one leaf removed.....I'm sure the RB's will ride good
Old 05-22-2015, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well for what rustys package offers plus shipping it was cheaper to go wth what I listed. Not by much but still enough to make a difference in my decision. Plus I feel like you can't go wrong with OME leaf springs. I did order a trac bar from IRO I figured might as well get that out of the way now. I appreciate the input though. Hopefully I can get away without the transfer case drop but ill see how it feels after everything is installed.

His was a well matched package and the leafs/coils are all made in North America the OEM your speaking of are all made else where from Australia to China mostly. The Rustys package has a good ride and the proper leaf length as well as 2 different coil rates for the kit.

Good luck with your lift and plan on breaking some bolt's as your doing the removal of parts, PB blast things for a week or so ahead of time daily.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. I'm just curious as to why shackle relocation brackets?
In my experience with OME leafs you need shackle relocation brackets to correct the angle Mine are pretty much at a 90° angle without them.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
His was a well matched package and the leafs/coils are all made in North America the OEM your speaking of are all made else where from Australia to China mostly. The Rustys package has a good ride and the proper leaf length as well as 2 different coil rates for the kit.

Good luck with your lift and plan on breaking some bolt's as your doing the removal of parts, PB blast things for a week or so ahead of time daily.
Yes, I received the OME Springs yesterday and they are in fact made in Malaysia, which im not to thrilled about but they seem to be quality made and overall happy with them so far, i did notice a + and - on the springs with the + being a hair taller. I cant wait to install them and i'll upload some pictures later. As for the shackle relocation, that'll probably go on down the line when i need new tires and i could add an extra inch or so.