Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to Install a 3.5" Lift; Question about Shackle Impact

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default About to Install a 3.5" Lift; Question about Shackle Impact

So, I'm about to install a Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Kit (both upper and lower front control arms) and 3" front and rear shocks, and I am going to be replacing my rear leaf shackles as well. Now, the RE leaf springs say they will add 3.5" to lift, and most shackles on the market also mention adding at least 1" to a lift as well. If I replace my rear shackles, even at 1" lift, will my rear end be higher than my front end? Will I be able to compensate my front end using spacers even if I have the short control arms? Should I just go ahead and get long or adjustable control arms? Also, will my shocks end up being too short for the end actual lift height?

I was also thinking about getting the RE boomerang shackles for the rear, which are only supposed to give an additional 1" lift. Thoughts?

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

That kit only comes with lower control arms and yes there will be a noticeable difference adding shackles. The rear leafs will give you closer to 4-4.5" for the first few months and then settle to around 3.5". If you are actually getting uppers and lowers you could get away with a spacer up front. When you order the kit tell them you plan on running a spacer and longer shackle and they'll give you longer shocks.