Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 xj having a mind of its own going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 99 xj having a mind of its own going crazy

my check engine has been going on and off sporadically for extended period of time and I've noticed its only when I turn.my truck sputters and either does or wants to turn off to start and sometimes it does nothing but the real weird thing is my horns goes crazy by itself took it to autozone to get them to hook the code reader and it said throttle response sensor so I replaced it but didn't work now I think it's my clockspring but I'm far from a mechanic to me would not explain my truck dying is it possible??? I should mention my cruise control or horn when I use it hasn't worked in a while but my airbag light is not on also I have replaced my clockspring already like 3 or 4 years ago with a 97 neon help please
Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Yup, it's your clock spring. Have the same issue with mine. Either replace it, or disconnect it. I just disconnected mine till I get a chance to replace it. Jeep runs fine, only issue it the airbag light stays on and I have no horn.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

thanks for the help I had a chance to pull it out today and stopped the craziness...now I'm curious before I pull the trigger on a replacement my check engine light went out and I excepted my airbag light to go on like you said but it didn't so my question is this do I really need to spend the money on another clockspring?