Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98+ Doorless mirror mod!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 98+ Doorless mirror mod!

So I saw a write up on here that was about removable mirrors for going doorless but it was on the older body style Cherokees, which is not much help to us in the newer body styles.

Now from what I've read Jeep decided to change up the door hinges in 1998. The 1997's even though they're the newer body style, still have the same hinges as the 84-96's.

Anyways I'll beat the dead horse on the topic of "legality" of going doorless. Blah blah some states require you to have all mirrors on the vehicle blah blah. In Nevada (my state) it is only required you have a rear view mirror, but if you're like me and you have a 35" tire blocking the back window, there's little to no visibility to what is going on behind you.
98+ Doorless mirror mod!-photo832.jpg

So in my case I'm just doing this so I can see behind me as I've been driving around doorless with no mirrors it has been kind of a pain and can be dangerous on the freeway.

Alright let's start:

First I picked up a scrap bolt that was laying around in my toolbox along with a few nuts.
98+ Doorless mirror mod!-photo384.jpg

Surprisingly it fit perfect through my hinges.
98+ Doorless mirror mod!-photo483.jpg

Then I ran down to O'Reilly's and picked up this guy for ~$20. Looks like it's meant for a semi truck or something?
98+ Doorless mirror mod!-photo96.jpg

The hole in the provided stem (I guess you'd call it) going into my bolt was too small so I drilled it out a bit, threw a nut on there, and BAM all done.
98+ Doorless mirror mod!-photo689.jpg
98+ Doorless mirror mod!-photo225.jpg

I have a tad bit of OCD when it comes to things on my Jeep so I will most likely try to find a smaller bolt that goes through the hinges and I will also be putting some black paint on the mirror. It's a pretty simple "mod" if you'd like to call it that, but I hope it'll help someone out.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01

Pretty nifty
Old 07-15-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any problems with the mirrors vibrating? I have a similar setup bolted to my tube doors, and the mirrors start to shake so bad that they're useless above 45 mph. The mirrors I got were cheaper ones, and I think it may have to do with the brackets that came with them.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V69_XJ
Do you have any problems with the mirrors vibrating? I have a similar setup bolted to my tube doors, and the mirrors start to shake so bad that they're useless above 45 mph. The mirrors I got were cheaper ones, and I think it may have to do with the brackets that came with them.
Yes I got up to 55 and my mirror started to get pushed back inward from the wind, I'm gonna have to figure something out to prevent this
Old 07-17-2016, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

Sweet. And cheap. I like.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:24 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Good simple solution man, I like it.

As far as the length of the bolt, just cut it!

-pull the bolt off and put it in a vise - preferably between a couple of scraps of wood to protect the threads
-thread the nut onto the bolt just below where you want to cut it
-grab a hacksaw and hack it off
-After that, you can use a file or grinder to de-burr the bolt and taper it a little, then unscrew the nut from the bolt which will correct the path of the threads.

As far as the mirror and moving on you, just grab a "star" style lock washer and put it between the mirror post and the hinge and that should keep it in place after you tighten the nut down.