Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97+ LED Tail Light Upgrade Write Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 97+ LED Tail Light Upgrade Write Up

Some have been curious, so I figured I'd just show how I did it. There aren't a lot of budget friendly LED upgrades for late model XJ tail lights. After some research, I decided that the two most budget friendly options were to either modify the factory housings with LED panels or hope JCR would being manufacturing their late model housings again. Well, luckily JCR did so I pulled the trigger and ordered a set without lights.

Then I started looking at lights as I had not had to order LED trailer lights since I built the headache rack on my old pickup. What I decided on were Jammy 2" makers (red), some cheap 2.5" "reverse" lights, and some Jammy 6" ovals. As you can probably tell from the parts list, I'd be doing a 4 wire to 3 wire conversion. I had a project planned that I knew would block one of the turn signals had I decided to stay with the 4 wire, I also already had a converter box back there since I added my own tow package to the vehicle when I acquired it. Purchased all grommet mount except for the markers which were flush mount. Then I went to my local Napa and ordered the flush mount housings (made by Grote).

Eventually everything came in and I began.

First I assembled everything and test fit the lights in the housings.
Name:  null_zps41d0a071.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  144.8 KB
Then I painted the housings and mounted all of the lights.
Name:  null_zps9a594088.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  139.8 KB
Next came the actual install (which is frankly unbolting 3 bolts per side, removing the bulbs from the lenses and then wiring everything back up and installing the housing reusing the 3 bolts per side). I decided not to remove the factory harness and instead just T'ed into what I needed (tail and reverse). Came off the converter box for turn/brake. Then I buttoned everything back up and began debugging.

As I thought it would, the turn signals were going faster than a monkey jacked up on cocaine. Temporary fix, put the bulbs back in the wiring harness for the turn signals to provide the proper resistance. What I didn't realize until later that night when I was out storm chasing, didn't have brake lights. On a whim I went back the next day and plugged the bulbs into the brake sockets, who would've thought the converter was looking for the resistance too. Everything works, is tucked away neatly and I haven't been around to put proper resistors on the lights yet. Brighter than hell too...
Name:  null_zpsd39fd94b.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  144.3 KB
Here is that little project that I knew would block the reverse light...
Name:  null_zps90a0e0de.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  163.5 KB
Hope y'all enjoyed this little write up.

Last edited by xjzaped; 11-05-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Cool stuff. How well do those light boxes follow the contour of the jeep?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Except for some small bends, they follow the factory body lines quite well. There is some adjustability in them when your bolting them up so you can get them in line with the body.