Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 xj low budget low cog project suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 xj low budget low cog project suggestions

Ok so I have a 96 that so far I have a total of 260$ in to it and it runs drives and is all stock I have a set of 33 12.50 15 on off set wheels from my last project that I want to run on it . I have some v8 zj springs and some spacers for the front and a track bar drop bracket and for the rear so far I have got s10 leaf packs I want to put in . will this be enough to clear the 33s and I'm not scared to cut the body up and I want to keep this really cheap its not going on the road so its doesn't need to be safe for the hiway I will also be removing the sway bars and for that much lift what front shocks can I use.
only pic I have of it right now

Want to make a bumper for it too
Old 07-11-2016, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ford4x4302
Ok so I have a 96 that so far I have a total of 260$ in to it and it runs drives and is all stock I have a set of 33 12.50 15 on off set wheels from my last project that I want to run on it . I have some v8 zj springs and some spacers for the front and a track bar drop bracket and for the rear so far I have got s10 leaf packs I want to put in . will this be enough to clear the 33s and I'm not scared to cut the body up and I want to keep this really cheap its not going on the road so its doesn't need to be safe for the hiway I will also be removing the sway bars and for that much lift what front shocks can I use.
only pic I have of it right now

Want to make a bumper for it too
Sounds like this will be purely offroad..so cheap shouldn't be the way to go. You'll be breaking things every time out. You can fit whatever size tires you want with trimming.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:28 PM

O yea how do u get the stock flares Off in one pice I dont want to break them want to save them
Old 07-12-2016, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by ford4x4302
O yea how do u get the stock flares Off in one pice I dont want to break them want to save them
There are nuts on the back side of the flare, just unbolt all of them and yank on it
Old 07-12-2016, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Sounds like this will be purely offroad..so cheap shouldn't be the way to go. You'll be breaking things every time out. You can fit whatever size tires you want with trimming.

No truer words spoken, a pure off road low cog setup need things a DD would not require to keep it from breaking. You will be doing a lot of trimming for clearance a good set of shocks, armor, bumpers w/recovery points along with a steering upgrade. Then with larger tires the need for deeper gears/lockers come into play.

Some of these can be worked around, but not all or you will find yourself broken down in the worst places.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:21 AM

Ok so I got the zj springs and spacers in the front in I got about 4 inch of lift now I need shocks and i starrted to tear the leaf springs out to do my bastard pack with the s10 springs I got for free I also eliminated the sway bars

Old 07-16-2016, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

It's a beater. Leave it at that. Sell some parts and it will be a FREE beater.
If it's not a DD or driven on the road, How many miles will it really get put on it a year?

Leave the front fenders off and sell them and the flares. Would probably take off the spring spacers for 33's and no fenders.
Pull the rear flares and cut the fenders right up to the pinch seam.
Maybe a set of cheap autozone shocks, don't they have a warranty? Or rough country white ones.

Then just paint bomb all the underside and cut and removed fenders.

Really just need to add good/strong front and rear recovery points and invest in a Bubba Rope. They work great and you will be needing it more that anything else.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Looking at the picture, you really need some longer lower control arms.
Brake lines and shocks from other vehicles are covered as well.
I underlined some of it.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998

The Cheap Beater Off Road Rigs are the MOST FUN !!!!!

I take it you read all this information on LOW COG XJ's

LOW COG XJ's
Old 07-18-2016, 09:09 PM

Yea I'm just trying to get it going for now and as I get money do some upgrades the break hoses im going to just move the front ones down and extend the hard lines cuz I have all the line and **** laying around from other projects. The rear break hose im getting a 90s dakota one and forthe lower control arms I don't have the extra cash to buy new ones right now so the stockers will have to do. And just for a little up date I'm weighing on my buddy to get the leaf springs I need for the back . So far I paid 240$ for the jeep I had the zj springs and lift spacers laying around and I got a free track bar drop bracket and the wheels and tires I had laying around and now I'm spending 30$ on the leafpacks I'm getti g tomorrow or the next day and they have a 2-inch add a Leafs in them next is all 4 shocks .
Old 07-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Member

The piture i shared was for parts that you could pull off of other vehicles at the junkyard.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by bryweb
The Cheap Beater Off Road Rigs are the MOST FUN !!!!!

I take it you read all this information on LOW COG XJ's

LOW COG XJ's
Yea I was reading some stuff and yea I am keeping it as cheap as I can for now and go from there I had a 96 zj that I had a total of 400$ into it and i beat on it for months and it never let me down and I really dident break that much stuff
Old 07-18-2016, 09:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Do you still have the zj?
Old 07-18-2016, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Constantine
Do you still have the zj?
No I was wheeling one day and the tranny lines got a bunch of brush in them and got ripped off and the tranny lost a lot of fluid and it cooked it and then the computer shorted out trying to get it home I think from getting wet so many times then I just took the springs out and my tires off and sold the transfer case and scraped the rest
Old 07-19-2016, 02:11 PM

Ok so I had some free time at work and started combining the xj leafpack and s10 leaf pack and got this

And I'm making a shackle for the passanger side cuz it was rotted bad this all i have done with that

Quick Reply: 96 xj low budget low cog project suggestions