Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84(?) to 96 rear disc e brake cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 84(?) to 96 rear disc e brake cables

I know there has been discussions on this in the past but I didn't want to revive a dead thread.
I have a 96 xj with zj disks and about 3"of lift. My stock cables were too rusted and short to do the bend and clamp method of attaching them, so I decided to find new cables that would work. My search led to bruin brake cables, a US based company that makes custom cables (and also the same company that makes the Napa cables 97-01 xjs can use).
I contacted them via email about my setup, and one of their engineers responded the same day. We went back and forth with measurements, he sent me technical drawings of the lines with some tweaks, and they made a custom part Number specifically for my setup.
3 days later, I got my lines and they went right in! Only issue is the springs are a tad long on the brake side, but no big deal.
So the part number you'll need is (2) 97212 for 96 and older trucks. They'll work with any lift from 3" on up to at least 6.5" (I ordered them long as I'm lifting up to 6" or so). Best part? They're under 100 bucks for the set and I already paid for the engineering fee to make the custom part Number that will be in their system from now on for you guys haha.
TLDR: bruinbrakecables.com for 2 of part 97212 for zj brakes on a lifted pre 97 xj. Enjoy.