Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.7 stroker swap need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 stroker
Exclamation 4.7 stroker swap need help

i have a 94 cherokee i blew the head gasket and cracked the head this out of the way

i bought a 4.7 liter stroker with $5200 in receipts for $2500 the good news is it came with a whole jeep the bad news is it is an 88 so here is what im working with

88 block 93 ho head intake its got a comp cam accel ignition borla try y header to full borla exhaust ajustable map modifier 125 psi fuel pump with ajustable electronic pressure regulater im running a bored throttle body also

i took it out of the 88 5 speed and put it in my 94 auto i changed all the sensors that didnt plug into my harness to the ones that did everything plugs in like it did besides distributer and coil but im running an accel 300+ ignition and accel coil so it has its own wiring for both of those i emailed accel and talked to craig and i wired it all the was he told me to i have spark i have fuel it wont start unless its with starting fluid i cant figure out why my jeep has been down for two weeks and im not ok with waiting to much longer if someone could please help me the only thing i can think of is if both motors are in different positions would the cps be messing with the timing

im throwing codes they are 12 21 22 24 54 and 55 which is end of codes one of them is o2 sensor one is recent battery disconnection and one is temp sensor if someone could help me figure this out it would help alot im tired of not driving my jeep im excited to see how a dynod 400 horse 4.7 feels on or off road and im sure my buddy wants it out of his shop haha he has his own stuff to do but i refuse to move my jeep till its done cuz i dont know when the shop is gonna be available for me to use again
Old 01-15-2014, 04:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

If you have fuel pressure at the schrader valve then I would say you have to start looking at your fuel injector pulse. If you haven't replaced the CPS it might be a good time to do so- Its possible that something happened to it during the swap.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Ecms not reciveing signals from all the sensors those codes refer to its never gonna start . Was it running on old motor with the Accel system tied in ?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

That Accel stuff gives me the *******. No reason you couldn't ditch that troublesome stuff.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 AM

my 94 was running the stock wiring stock distributer stock coil the 4.7 was running the accel in the other jeep its even an accel distributer and its the same fuel rail and injectors that it ran on in the other jeep also i got it to fire on starting fluid but it wont continue to run without it also this motor is capable of turning 8000 rpm i seen it hit that on a tach in the other jeep and the accel gives me an ajustable rev limiter that i ghanged to 6500 rpm to be safe and i wired it the way accel said to but im confused because nothing goes to the factory harness
flat plug
red- 12 volt with ignition
black- ground to block
yellow- positive on aftermarket coil
brown- negitive on aftermarket coil

square plug
orange- positive for aftermarket magnetic pickups
purple - negative for aftermarket magnetic pickups
white-only used for a points distributer
green- aftermarket tach

i feel like something needs to go from the harness to the distributer for the cam sensor since the dizzy plug is a 3 pin plug and i only have 2 wires going into it and there was 3 wires in it on the other jeep but unfortunatly i have friends that wanted to help with this swap and they dont remember where everything goes that they took off

Last edited by lowrange9891; 01-15-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Put the stock coil, distributor, and wiring on the new motor- see if it runs.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

8000 rpm jeep 4.0? Nice fantasy land.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by lowrange9891
my 94 was running the stock wiring stock distributer stock coil the 4.7 was running the accel in the other jeep its even an accel distributer and its the same fuel rail and injectors that it ran on in the other jeep also i got it to fire on starting fluid but it wont continue to run without it also this motor is capable of turning 8000 rpm i seen it hit that on a tach in the other jeep and the accel gives me an ajustable rev limiter that i ghanged to 6500 rpm to be safe and i wired it the way accel said to but im confused because nothing goes to the factory harness
flat plug
red- 12 volt with ignition
black- ground to block
yellow- positive on aftermarket coil
brown- negitive on aftermarket coil

square plug
orange- positive for aftermarket magnetic pickups
purple - negative for aftermarket magnetic pickups
white-only used for a points distributer
green- aftermarket tach

i feel like something needs to go from the harness to the distributer for the cam sensor since the dizzy plug is a 3 pin plug and i only have 2 wires going into it and there was 3 wires in it on the other jeep but unfortunatly i have friends that wanted to help with this swap and they dont remember where everything goes that they took off
1988 and 1994 are completely different operating systems. If its wired like it was on the 88 could be the issue...
Old 01-15-2014, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

One other thing 88 xj will run with dist un plugged 94 will not .
Old 01-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0, APN header & 2.5" exhaust

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
8000 rpm jeep 4.0? Nice fantasy land.
Caught my attention too..
Old 01-16-2014, 01:16 AM

I seen it hit 8000 rpm in the other jeep say what you wouud like but I seen it do it anyways I went and rented an injectoe noid tester and didnt have power to my injectors so I ditched the accel ignition and put my stock 4.0 dizzy in basicly the renix systoms dont have a cam sensor in the dizzy and the cam sensor is what sends power to your injectors I so with the stock dizzy and coil it runs awesome fires right up thanks for the the help everyone that actually helped everyone else if you put $5200 into a motor it better turn 8000 rpm just a hint of what is done to my motor this wont tell you to much but the lift on the cam is .493 intake and .512 exhaust
Old 01-16-2014, 01:45 AM
Seasoned Member

There's a lot more things that matter than money invested when it comes to building an engine. What was done to counter act the 3rd order harmonics that develop around 5600rpm?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:10 AM

Im just saying that I seen it hit 8000 rpms it was wired thru the accel ignition system which is the rev limiter so you dont have to have anything done to the computer I also know that it has a balanced flex plate and harmonic balancer I have almost $2000 in machine shope reciptes its bored and stroked ported and polished has biger valves huge cam stronger valve springs borla exhaust 703 injectors bored throttle body I have reciptes and specs on everything I just have to dig thru the stack of everything it came with say what you want I believe what I seen because I seen it you may not believe it but I really dont care if you do or not have a nice day

Last edited by Outlaw Star; 01-22-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 AM
Seasoned Member

That's one hell of a run on sentence. Maybe you haven't looked into the design of the 4.0, but it is pretty well known for having 3rd order harmonics that start around 5600 rpm and can actually break double roller timing chains and even spit the distributor straight out. The problem is that there are only 4 journals on the 4.0 camshaft. Is it a roller cam? I'd imagine a flat tappet cam would have a short life with valve springs strong enough to seat at 8k..
Old 01-16-2014, 03:21 AM

Yes it is a roller cam atleast thats what the guy I bought it from said I dont know if the motor was ever driven with because it was in a stock cherokee that I had to put together enough to get it on the trailor I doube it hit 8000 rpm very often with a load on the motor I seen ot hit 8k in neutral and it did the weird renix rev limiter where it just kinda stops reving I have it in my 94 running the entire ho harness on factory computer without the accel ignition and it bounces off the rev limiter like my factory motor did but a hell of a lot faster and its at 5500

Im going to college for my first term right now, and im taking a writing class, so I can get better at it.
I know how to write, but I write in run on sentences because I dont give a fawk.

See the first sentences has 3 independent clauses seperated by coordinating conjunctions, and the secomd sentence has two subject - verb sets seperated by coordinating conjunctions, so they need commas. Have a nice day bro.

Quick Reply: 4.7 stroker swap need help