Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.5" lift vs 3.5"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4.5" lift vs 3.5"?

I am contemplating on buying a Jeep soon, and I'm looking for lift kits to purchase. I was set on 3.5" until i saw some pics with 4.5 lift and 32 tires (I believe)... perfect

From what i read, once you get to a 4" lift a long arm will be best. will i need different (extra) tools to add the long arm to my Jeep, or is it a simple replacement?

Also, has anyone put a 4.5 on with short arms(what i'll probably end up doing if theyre expensive)? Is it really uncomfortable on the road; shakes, swerving, noise, etc? I wont be doing hardcore off-roading (probably just trails for now), so will it be able to do that without problems?

Will i be able to upgrade from short arm to long arm without a problem in the future? As you can probably tell, i dont know a lot about jeeps...er, cars. Im purposely buying the car stock so i can learn to put the lift kits on and fix things if something goes bad. If guys have any cool modifications i could do, please share.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-14-2012, 02:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

First off welcome to cherokeeforum.

Questions answered inline below

From what i read, once you get to a 4" lift a long arm will be best. will i need different (extra) tools to add the long arm to my Jeep, or is it a simple replacement?

You don't need long arms with a 4" lift. Long arms are usually not a direct bolt on and usually require some welding.

Also, has anyone put a 4.5 on with short arms(what i'll probably end up doing if theyre expensive)? Is it really uncomfortable on the road; shakes, swerving, noise, etc? I wont be doing hardcore off-roading (probably just trails for now), so will it be able to do that without problems?

Yes, plenty of lift companies make 4.5 inch short arm lifts for the XJ. With a 4.5" lift and without a transfer case drop or a slip yoke eliminator you might have some driveline vibrations.

Will i be able to upgrade from short arm to long arm without a problem in the future? As you can probably tell, i dont know a lot about jeeps...er, cars. Im purposely buying the car stock so i can learn to put the lift kits on and fix things if something goes bad. If guys have any cool modifications i could do, please share.

Yes, a lot of lift companies make long arm kits that are upgrades for short arm kits.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:13 AM

out of the transfer case drop and the SYE, which is easier to install?
i was looking at these two kits:
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...pn=R%2fERE6130
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...m-upgrade.html

even though they are made by different companies, will the long arm extension still work?

On the rough countries website they say that in order to install their SYE i need to buy the Rear Extended Driveshaft, but no other website says that. is it only for them then?

Last edited by shanimal92; 04-14-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by shanimal92
out of the transfer case drop and the SYE, which is easier to install?
i was looking at these two kits:
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...pn=R%2fERE6130
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...m-upgrade.html

even though they are made by different companies, will the long arm extension still work?

On the rough countries website they say that in order to install their SYE i need to buy the Rear Extended Driveshaft, but no other website says that. is it only for them then?
A tc drop is much easier to install. But an sye is deffently the better option. And if you get an sye, you have to get a new rear driveshaft because you are taking the "slip" out of the transfer case so you have to get a new driveshaft to put the slip back in it. The company usually has an option to order the sye and ds together. And remeber, searching is your best friend. Just go to google, type in a few key words with cherokee forum after it, and you will have hours of reading. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

If you go with short arms, pick up some CAD brackets. Depending on the long arm kit, you can bolt on and go, minus chopping the stock LCA body mounts.
As far as HnT goes, Dirtbound Offroad has their yoke-style for 100$
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

im running a BDS 4.5" short arm. on BFG 31x10.5" All-terrains. rides awesome, install wasnt too bad, and the BDS parts are BEEF. kit came complete with brake lines, swaybar discos, t-case drop, and shims (if you dont have an SYE yet).

my fenders arent trimmed at all and the 31"s just rub a little fit at full flex..but i have no bumpstops in the rear and the stock ones up front. i'll post a pic later from my computer to give you an idea of how it came out.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:24 AM

thanks guys. I think im going to stick with a 3.5" lift. I dont know much about cars, so being able to get a nice lift but not have to remove and replace a lot of parts is nice.