Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.5 lift info needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 4.5 lift info needed.

im looking at the RC lift for my xj and i was wondering what is all needed besides the kit to make it a complete machine. any info would be great.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:23 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 i 6

I don't know what comes with there lifts but, adjustable tracbar, breaklines, sye (maybe), drop pitman arm ( maybe, depending on your steering setup). Are you thinking long arm or short?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Member

it will be a short arm. nothin fancy just looking to lift it to have a more agressive look. it will barely see any offroad if at all.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

get a adjustable tracbar. and thats it other than the kit. Sye will most likely not be needed.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a little confused by what you are asking. It won't see any offroad but you want to make it a complete machine?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 PM

For mainly rd use get good shocks. Might be more$ but a smooth ride is nice. Sye might not be needed but build it and see. Don't forget an alignment.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Seasoned Member

a complete machine as in ready to go. I like to keep my thinks nice so i want to lift it drive it. i may do SOME offroading nothing major.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by xjmafia
a complete machine as in ready to go. I like to keep my thinks nice so i want to lift it drive it. i may do SOME offroading nothing major.

Ahhh, ok I gotcha now.

Well, a few pointers with the RC lift at 4.5. Definately upgrade to the Nitro shocks. I almost bought the 2.2's from them but I've read reviews about them being really stiff. I have the 9000's in their Nitro series and they ride really nice. I'm in the middle of upgrading now since I'm still using my old shocks from my old lift. Make sure you get the Series II lift with full packs not add a leaf. It is one of the most complete kits available. If you want it to ride REALLY nice, get their shackle relocation brackets. I also find that running just a few psi lower on the tires helps out greatly too. You may or may not need an SYE. At the very least do a transfer case drop. All XJ's are different. It's one of those things that you have to lift it to see if you need it. Absolutely get a track bar. No question there. Iron Rock Auto seems to have the best ones on the market. You will need the toe reset for sure. Since you probably have stock gears now, you could get along with 32's fine on some nice wheels. That's how I'm rolling now.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

If just doing some off roading then why lift it the 4.5" just thinking about it would be throwing money away
Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Member

thanks for all the great info. do you think that RC or rustys would be best? im looking to not spend a bunch of money so the less i spend the better of course lol. what do you have on the jeep in that pic? it looks nice.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dogger15
If just doing some off roading then why lift it the 4.5" just thinking about it would be throwing money away
I like the looks of it ive thought about doing a 3 inch lift and i still may but i like the looks of the 4.5 aswell. it looks pretty mean. and just because something is lifted doesnt mean it has to be taken off road. we have a few muscle cars that are built with strong motors but we dont take em out and pound on them alot. I am more of the type to have nice things and take care of them its to expensive to break stuff. lol i am sure i will mess with it when i do lift it but it wont be to the point where i am breaking stuff and messing up fenders and 1/4 panels.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 PM

It's the 4.5 Rough Country lift. We have 3 XJ's in the family. Been through 5 lifts. Loved every one of them. we put a lift in 2 of them twice but only to go higher. That's why we did 5 of them. I actually sold one to my buddy for his cherokee. RC's customer service is 2nd to none. If you have a problem, they do what they can to fix any issues. I've had nothing but good things to say about them. I've heard good and bad about Rusty's lifts but more bad. Just search around and ask guys who have both and see what you think. I also heard that the Zone Offroad lifts ride really nice. I just don't know they're pricing on lifts. I'm working with them on extended shocks right now. And thanks for the kind words.

I went up to 4.5 inches from 3 inches because of the look as well. Granted, I do take mine 4 wheeling more often than you say you will. I also did it for a little more clearance. But my wanting it was also for the meaner look. When I had my 3 inch lift, I guess I got used to it, but it just didn't seem like it was "lifted". Sometimes people even asked me if I had a lift on it. That kinda bummed me out. Now they ask how high is it? haha!

This was mine at 3 inches

Last edited by Lyon; 05-17-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to thank member for compliment and post pics
Old 05-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dogger15
I like the looks of it ive thought about doing a 3 inch lift and i still may but i like the looks of the 4.5 aswell. it looks pretty mean. and just because something is lifted doesnt mean it has to be taken off road. we have a few muscle cars that are built with strong motors but we dont take em out and pound on them alot. I am more of the type to have nice things and take care of them its to expensive to break stuff. lol i am sure i will mess with it when i do lift it but it wont be to the point where i am breaking stuff and messing up fenders and 1/4 panels.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 PM

Year: 1989

you could do a 3inch junkyard lite ALOT cheaper
Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 PM

Agreeed