Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.5" lift. Fat Bob's or Rusty's

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4.5" lift. Fat Bob's or Rusty's

In the market for a new lift for my xj. Wasn't sure how much I was wanting to lift it but ran across some jk 18" rubicon wheels with 285 65 bfg's for a good price and had to get them so i've decided the 4.5" would probably work the best with minimal to no trimming. Here are the 2 kits i'm looking at.

Fat bob's- http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-ch...01-p22974.aspx

Rusty's- http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-leaf-kit.html

Both kits come with most of the same stuff, shocks, coils etc, but there's $140 difference because the Rusty's kit comes with an adjustable track bar where the Fat Bob kit comes with a track bar relocation bracket. This is a biggie for me because i've had 2 jeeps that had death wobble after lifting and I know that 95% of the time it's the track bar.
Im wondering if the track bar relocation bracket with FB's kit eliminates the need for an adjustable track bar, or if I'll still need to purchase one anyway. Im kind of leaning toward the FB kit, because i can buy it, install it and if no death wobble then great, but if it does I can order an adjustable one and still come out cheaper than the rustys kit. Unless someone has experience with both lifts and the rusty's kit is higher/better quality. Thanks in advance for any info guys!
Old 03-26-2017, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The rusty's kit is the better out of the two, I would however advise against an add a leaf.

You should also be budgeting for a slip yolk eliminator and new drive shaft. May not be 100% necessary but at 4.5 inches you run the risk of driveline vibes and a transfer case drop is just a bandaid IMO. You'll also need extended brake lines.

Zone and IRO both make decent kits that might be worth looking in to.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by LACK
The rusty's kit is the better out of the two, I would however advise against an add a leaf.

You should also be budgeting for a slip yolk eliminator and new drive shaft. May not be 100% necessary but at 4.5 inches you run the risk of driveline vibes and a transfer case drop is just a bandaid IMO. You'll also need extended brake lines.

Zone and IRO both make decent kits that might be worth looking in to.
x2 on all of this...don't cheap out. You'll regret it.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

x3 on all this. NO ADD A LEAF. Buy a set of springs for that much lift. I did build a bastard pack with dakota springs that had what appeared to be a helper spring/overload spring on the bottom. It was about 20" long and 5/8" thick. Built the pack with it in it and after install, I got about 4 3/4" of lift. Took it out and got back to 3 1/4" I was looking for.

Your smart, there is alot of experience on this sight. Wished I had found it sooner and it would have saved me a lot of headaches.

Buy the best you can nearly afford and only cry once. That other stuff, i.e., RC leads to many headaches and expense. Spring for the adjustable track bar and save yourself the pain of taking out immediately after you get the 4 1/2" lift installed.

My .02 worth.

Happy Jeepin'

86 xj 2 door
2.5 liter 4 speed
3" RC front coils, Bastard pack rear
RC adjustable track bar and stabilizer shock.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more i look around and think about it, i think i'm gonna do a minimal lift and let my sawsall do the majority of the work. I like the look of a cherokee better without flares. I've did 2" budget boost with 33's on several jeeps with good results so i may go that route again. Still haven't made up my mind yet