Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.5 inch lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.5 inch lift

Could I clear 33 inch tires without cutting my fenders with a 4.5 inch lift and how much lift can u go before u need long arms.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

If plan on flexing a lot, no. The long arm i dont know.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by cherokee outlaw
If plan on flexing a lot, no. The long arm i dont know.
Well I don't do much flexing put I plan on it in the future I'm gonna put spacers for more lift later I just need to know how important long arms are
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

If its just driven on the pavement you can get away with it with slight tire rubbing pulling over slanted curbs into gas stations, ect. When in doubt, trim a little.

Needed is a hard word. It just really depends on if you want to hate driving your XJ or not. We have had many customers come to us asking what they can do to make their XJ more enjoyable to drive again after lifting it. Some after only lifting their XJs 3.5". A rough ride or sloppy steering are usually the main reasons they dont enjoy it. We have helped these customers enjoy their XJ again by adding a long arm 3 link or 4 link, fixing shackle angles with shackle relocation kits, and tightening up their steering with a new HD setup.

So is a long arm NEEDED? no. Its up to you how much you want to enjoy your XJ and improve its offroad capability and on road handling.

Kris Froehlich

Last edited by Lead Foot; 01-12-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Let someone else chime in on the LA issue. Im not at that level of expertise yet. Lol
Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

If you are planning on putting spacers in and going more the 4.5" later then I would definitely suggest going long arms now to save you the head ache later.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
If its just driven on the pavement you can get away with it with slight tire rubbing pulling over slanted curbs into gas stations, ect. When in doubt, trim a little.

Needed is a hard word. It just really depends on if you want to hate driving your XJ or not. We have had many customers come to us asking what they can do to make their XJ more enjoyable to drive again after lifting it. Some after only lifting their XJs 3.5". A rough ride or sloppy steering are usually the main reasons they dont enjoy it. We have made these customers enjoy their XJ again by adding a long arm 3 link or 4 link, fixing shackle angles with shackle relocation kits, and tightening up their steering with a new HD setup.

So is a long arm NEEDED? no. Its up to you how much you want to enjoy your XJ and improve its offroad capability and on road handling.

Kris Froehlich
The reason I'm asking is I'm only 16 and come spring I'm gonna talk my parents into me doing a three inch lift. But after that I'm gonna buy some shackles and spacers and go bigger. My parents are a big keep it stock kind of people. And I'm a red neck teen who wants the biggest baddest truck at school. So I just wanted to know how important long arms are with bigger lifts. Also I have heard of control arm drop brackets. Are they reliable and worth my hard earned money?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Before you put a wrench on it you need to understand the economics of properly and safely lifting a rig from stock height to whatever your planned final ride height is.

Get busy with your Googler, Binger, or Searcher and start reading up on what it costs to do the job right.

Start by looking at the cost of:
Lift kits
Wheels
Tires
Gears
SYE's
Shocks
Brake Lines
Steering upgrades
Swaybar Disco's (All the nay-sayer's can STHU. He's a new driver.)
Armor
Recovery gear

You'll need all of these and more to have the most B/A rig on campus.

Probably not what you wanted to hear....but new XJ owners need to hear it, even if it hurts.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Don't forget to factor in the labor cost if you can't DIY.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Don't forget to factor in the labor cost if you can't DIY.
I am able to to this on my own and I am planning and pricing cause I'm gonna do this all from spring till the end of summer. So I just had thoughts of how important long arms were and I have figured out that they are important for a good ride with a big lift.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Before you put a wrench on it you need to understand the economics of properly and safely lifting a rig from stock height to whatever your planned final ride height is.

Get busy with your Googler, Binger, or Searcher and start reading up on what it costs to do the job right.

Start by looking at the cost of:
Lift kits
Wheels
Tires
Gears
SYE's
Shocks
Brake Lines
Steering upgrades
Swaybar Disco's (All the nay-sayer's can STHU. He's a new driver.)
Armor
Recovery gear

You'll need all of these and more to have the most B/A rig on campus.

Probably not what you wanted to hear....but new XJ owners need to hear it, even if it hurts.

BOY DID HE SAY A MOUTH FULL, and is 100% correct.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L stroker

Son, u need to definitely research everything serious mentioned so you fully understand whats necessary in order to PROPERLY lift your jeep. 4.5 lift on 33s with factory fender flares WILL RUB.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by evan00xj
Son, u need to definitely research everything serious mentioned so you fully understand whats necessary in order to PROPERLY lift your jeep. 4.5 lift on 33s with factory fender flares WILL RUB.
That's what I figured.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L

Don't forget to look at the back spacing on your wheels if you do go 33s at 4.5". You'll probably want some aftermarket ones

Quick Reply: 4.5 inch lift