Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Lift Checklist and questions

Old 09-25-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default 3" Lift Checklist and questions

Hi everyone!

New to the forum as a poster, but I've lurked for awhile getting many questions answered on a lot of general maintenance. I now have many maintenence issues fixed on my XJ, and I'm ready to put a lift on (to start).

I am wanting to make sure I have crossed my T's and dotted my I's. I have a 99 XJ Limited with the 4.0. 100k miles. It's a daily driver and I'm wanting to give it a little more presence because it is completely stock. I don't plan to do any hard offroading, but it will occasionally head out to get dirty.

3" Lift https://www.quadratec.com/products/76017_8120_07.htm

- kit basically includes all the suspension components I need

31" x 10.5" x R15 BFG AT tires with rims

I'm doing the full leaf springs instead of the add-a-leaf because she's saggin pretty bad in the rear. They're shot.

What I'm unsure of:

1) With 3" I have read that it's somewhat of a bubble height for the need for a TC drop or a SYE. Looking for a few personal experiences/recommendations on this.

2) Will I need a modified driveshaft with the increased height or will the ujoints just end up taking a beating without the TC or SYE?

3) Another bubble question seems to be about a trackbar. Needed or no?

4) Everyone says to remove the rear sway bar since you're right there while putting in a lift kit. I won't be doing any crazy amount of rock crawling or hard trailing. Recommendations?

5) I don't plan to do any fender trimming, but I can if it ends up being needed. Would a different bump stop help with this issue instead?

I'm mechanically inclined, but I'm pretty spooked about screwing something up and making it undriveable after I spend the money. Any and all responses are very much appreciated. If I've forgotten any desired info, I will be sure to respond as quick as possible.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:53 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the posting side of the site Wukaro!

Im sure somebody on here will chime in. Im really able to answer any questions as Im sorta new to the xj been a chevy guy and just got into the xj thing myself!
Old 09-26-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee

at 3" I would go with a crossmember out of a manual if yours is auto this will net you !" of drop without loosing ground clearance
at 3" the stock driveshaft should work if you get your trans down 1"
at 3' you should be able to drill a new hole in the axle side track bar mount to re center axle and should be fine
throw that rear sway bar in the trash
and if you don't want to trim fenders try to stay narrow with the tires or a stock backspace on your rims I personally ran 235/85/16 (about 32x9.0x16) mud claws on my xj with 3" lift and soft 8 rims 16x7 but do not remember the backspace
you are on a good forum with a lot of good people welcome to the xj life just ask around and use the search lots of good info to be had
Old 09-26-2018, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I have a 3" and it worked fine with the stock trackbar, driveshafts, and no drop.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Wukaro
3" Lift https://www.quadratec.com/products/76017_8120_07.htm

- kit basically includes all the suspension components I need
I'm mechanically inclined, but I'm pretty spooked about screwing something up and making it undriveable after I spend the money. Any and all responses are very much appreciated. If I've forgotten any desired info, I will be sure to respond as quick as possible.
Kit doesn't contain:
control arm/bushings
balljoints
linkage
etc.

Anytime you make suspension mods (especially on something that has an antiquated solid front axle) there is always that possibility you could end up with an impromptu lawn ornament.

"A safe lift isn't cheap, a cheap lift isn't safe."