Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" spacer lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2" spacer lift

My daughter wants a minor lift to her 1997 Cherokee Country. I was thinking about installing Skyjacker 2" value spacer kit. But my question is, would I necessarily need to change the shocks to accommodate for the spacers, or can I keep the current shocks (already purchased some replacement ones before she decided she wanted the lift!!!). So, the replacement shocks I have are for stock height
Old 02-03-2017, 10:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

It really depends on the shock some do fine others do not have the length.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Only way to be 100% sure is to support the frame on hi enough jack stands, place a jack under the differential then unbolt the rear shocks at the bottom mount then pull them out. If the frame can't be lifted enough, might want to remove the rear tires first. This all must be done after the lift is installed.

Drop the rear axle with the jack til only the leaf springs support it, then measure the distance from the top shock center bar pin mount to the shock bottom center mount....basically shock eyelet to eyelet.
Then look up the 'extended' spec for the shock. There's also the stroke and compressed spec. to consider.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

The front suspension is limited by the control arm, so if it has the factory control arms then the factory shock should work.
Although, as Fred mentioned, some factory replacements are not long enough and the shock will limit the travel.
The only damage is to the shock.
For the rear, If using shackles, then you will indeed gain some down travel capability.

If you want to go through the trouble, then I'd do Mopar ado suggested to both the front and the rear.
Which is basically let you suspension droop and see if the shock attatches at both ends freely.

Last edited by Constantine; 02-03-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:48 PM

Thanks Constantine, forgot the fronts, basically the same procedure.

I myself wouldn't trust stock shocks for a 2" lift. I lifted my XJ about the same and my rear stock shocks definitely bottomed out. Not good.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by moparado
Thanks Constantine, forgot the fronts, basically the same procedure.

I myself wouldn't trust stock shocks for a 2" lift. I lifted my XJ about the same and my rear stock shocks definitely bottomed out. Not good.

One thing I overlooked, you say it a cherokee country.
They are lifted 1" over a non-country model.
So, when you stack 2" on top of that you now have lifted 3" considering everything else is factory, you may actually require more than just spacers and shocks.....
Old 02-04-2017, 09:38 AM

Yep, thats why i did the measurement thing. Stock shocks were WAY too short.
The budget lift is supposed to be 1-3/4".
Didn't measure the actual end result lift but theoretically it should be 2-3/4"

I also added BPE's to the rears which adds a little more overall defacto shock length.

Its the perfect lift i wanted for around here and without changing a whole bunch more parts as would of been with a much higher lift.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!!
Not sure how soon I'll have the time to get this done for her, but I'll try to remember to let ya know how it goes. Right now I'm in the middle of completely gutting and remodeling our kitchen!!!!! Hoping I can get that finished to still have enough time in the spring to work on my daughter's Cherokee