Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-door front rumble seat action lever

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2-door front rumble seat action lever

Hello all,

I'm hoping others can advise on a good solution to cover or change the lever that allows my seat to move forward (2-door model). Anyone that's ever been in my backseat has wrecked their shin on this lever. The jeep came with two plastic tabs to cover it but they came off 8+ years ago. I've tried looking for replacements online but have come up empty-handed.

Has anyone found a source online that sells them? Or better yet, has anyone made their own and can share? I'm tempted to grind the metal down so it's deep within the seat and connect some sort of strap that passengers can pull on to work the seat.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Any chance the plastic is the same on a 2 door YJ or TJ Jeep? Figure those vehicles will need the seats to lean forward too. Gotta figure boneyards might have more of those then 2 door XJ's.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Any chance the plastic is the same on a 2 door YJ or TJ Jeep? Figure those vehicles will need the seats to lean forward too. Gotta figure boneyards might have more of those then 2 door XJ's.
Not from what I can tell. Those seats do move forward but the entire seat frame moves forward and up. The lever is on the side of those seats. THOSE can be found online easily enough. Possibly adaptable with some jerry-rigging.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

I poked around a bit and found this Ebay listing for TJ seats. There does appear to be a **** in the back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangl...QAAOSwy6NcMNtU
Old 01-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Ralph77
I poked around a bit and found this Ebay listing for TJ seats. There does appear to be a **** in the back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangl...QAAOSwy6NcMNtU
Interesting! Thanks for finding this. I have spent a lot of time looking for this and have looked under wrangler items before but never came so close. I looked further and, online, found the whole assembly for sale. I'm wondering if the dealer might be able to find just the plastic cap so I don't need to buy the entire part. For reference, it looks like the image below.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

So here the part number for at least '95 to '01 XJ's for just the ****. At least I am pretty sure it is. 4796720. Best I can tell is that for '94 to '96 YJ's that the **** does not have a separate part number. It is all one part number with the illustration looking like what the TJ one at ebay is. But on the TJ there is a separate part number. And guess what it is? 04796720. I am guessing the 0 does not matter.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com...driveLine=7409

Thinking that **** is what you need but the rest of the assembly will not work. The part number for what is above at your Ebay link I believe to be 05066419AA. In a '00 XJ appears to be 4796713. Does that mean it won't work? Damned if I know.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com...5066419AA.html

Awhile back I had this stupid idea that it might be nice to have 2 door XJ seats in a 4 door. Don't ask me why. Just these dumb ideas that pop into my head. Seeing your thread made me think of it again.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a guy that had a sailboat and the shift and throttle levers were basically metal rods sticking straight up parallel with each other off the vertical short wall of his cockpit (where you sit and operate the helm, incase anyone was wondering). Anyways these rods had plastic ***** that were threaded onto the top of the rods, and one came off somehow and was never seen again. While sailing with friends he managed to slightly injure his leg on the bare rod and needed to come up with a fix and it was suggested that he use some 5 minute marine epoxy; the kind that comes in a tube that looks like a rolled taco (I hope this is not too vague of a reference) with the catalyst and epoxy just needing to be kneaded by hand to mix up. Well long story made even longer, this was probably a decade ago and the makeshift **** is still there functioning perfectly. I was reading this thinking I also need those lever dealeos and I thought of this as a solution and will eventually implement it. Once cured the epoxy can be sanded to shape and painted if you like. I hope this helps!
Old 01-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Thank you, both. The part number is beneficial if I go the factory route.

Epoxy is a neat idea. I'm sure there have been other homebrew fixes for this so I was hoping some ideas like that would pop up.