Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2,500 lb winch for lite work

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0

Hey everyone. So I got a super stupid deal on a winch today. I want a 12,000 lb on the front of my jeep and a smaller one on the back for lifting heavy stuff or easy small pulling. Lifting: I was thinking of mounting it to the roof at the back of the cargo area so I could winch in my generator and other heavy stuff that a winch could easily just pull. Think like a winch on a boat trailer. Small pulling: moving debris off the road like a downed tree or large limbs that are just too big. Now I've done research and know that this would NOT be for a super stuck situation and or pulling medium to large vehicles. This would be for light to medium use when the rear of the vehicle will work well. I'm not looking for reason to have a rear winch or an ATV winch or not... My problem is where to mount it and how to wire it in. Can I mount it to the roof? What type of reinforcement will need to be done to make it happen? Safe??? How and where could I mount it on the back of the xj and still use my liftgate without opting for heavy duty bumper. Again, safe?
Attached Thumbnails 2,500 lb winch for lite work-image-2377228819.jpg  
Old 02-02-2015, 05:44 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by dschappell
Hey everyone. So I got a super stupid deal on a winch today. I want a 12,000 lb on the front of my jeep and a smaller one on the back for lifting heavy stuff or easy small pulling. Lifting: I was thinking of mounting it to the roof at the back of the cargo area so I could winch in my generator and other heavy stuff that a winch could easily just pull. Think like a winch on a boat trailer. Small pulling: moving debris off the road like a downed tree or large limbs that are just too big. Now I've done research and know that this would NOT be for a super stuck situation and or pulling medium to large vehicles. This would be for light to medium use when the rear of the vehicle will work well. I'm not looking for reason to have a rear winch or an ATV winch or not... My problem is where to mount it and how to wire it in. Can I mount it to the roof? What type of reinforcement will need to be done to make it happen? Safe??? How and where could I mount it on the back of the xj and still use my liftgate without opting for heavy duty bumper. Again, safe?
Not sure how you would safely mount it to the roof? Best bet would be custom rear bumper or fab up something you can mount it on that would go into your trailer hitch.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by STUD IN THE MUD

Not sure how you would safely mount it to the roof? Best bet would be custom rear bumper or fab up something you can mount it on that would go into your trailer hitch.
You can just mount it to the sheet metal if you want to plan on chopping your XJ after you use it the first time.
As Stud said, a winch plate in the receiver would be the only way to do it safely. Unless you want to reinforce your entire cargo area to support the stresses.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 98XJ40K
You can just mount it to the sheet metal if you want to plan on chopping your XJ after you use it the first time. As Stud said, a winch plate in the receiver would be the only way to do it safely. Unless you want to reinforce your entire cargo area to support the stresses.
I don't want to do a whole reinforcement cage so I'm going to opt for the hitch option. Now to get a hitch... Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by dschappell

I don't want to do a whole reinforcement cage so I'm going to opt for the hitch option. Now to get a hitch... Thanks for the feedback.
That's probably the safest and most cost effective way to do it. You can probably measure the bolt pattern and transfer it to a steel plate welded onto a hitch for next to nothing.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...hes-69106.html
Old 02-03-2015, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

The cost of the proper size copper cable and fittings to the rear may cost you more than the winch setup.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I have a winch in a basket. Mine is a T-max basket but warn and JCR also make them. It wouldn't be hard to make one yourself but If you do, put handles on it
t... Makes it way easier. It was not all that expensive to run the cable- I used screw together quick connects. I also fashioned a set of jumper cables with the connections so it makes jumping someone really easy.

If you are going to run the cable anyways, I would just run the one good winch- that way you can pull yourself back/someone else out if you have too. You could easily get the cable/basket for price of two winches.

Last edited by Ianf406; 02-03-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Seasoned Member

So I had an idea. I like the basket idea but I already have a front bumper that doesn't have a hitch spot. I'm going to weld a plate on it, but it doesn't have the spot for the hitch. I have the one winch already that is only 2,500. I had an idea for mounting to the rear and want you opinion.

Let's say the basket option can't work...

Can I remove the stock bumper, add a cross piece of 1/8 or 3/16 metal with holes pre drilled, mount the winch in the center of that and put the stock bumper back on (slots and holes drilled out for the winch)? See my pic below...

I know it's just sheet metal back there, but wouldn't this "kinda" be the same as adding a new bumper since it ties into both sides equally???
Attached Thumbnails 2,500 lb winch for lite work-image-2463734985.jpg  
Old 02-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Ignore the center holes... I don't know what I was doing there. That part of the body is indented from the rest so the nuts on the back of the winch should clear clash I think..
Old 02-03-2015, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

The xjs used to have a factory option on the front for a "hidden winch" like that.. it would be cool if you could get it to work! (And dont see why not with a small winch)
Old 02-03-2015, 02:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Ianf406
The xjs used to have a factory option on the front for a "hidden winch" like that.. it would be cool if you could get it to work! (And dont see why not with a small winch)
I didn't know that... Thanks. That tells me that it's possible at least. I'm going to ask a friend if he can scrap up a metal piece that fits for next to nothing or at cost. I'm curious as to the size and if it will fit properly behind the bumper.

As far as the cable issue and running the length of the jeep, I was planning on setting up an isolated battery in the back with a switch. It would run the rear on board air and 12V cig plug and this winch.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

I would just mount a hawse fairlead on the outside of the bumper so it didn't tear up your line/bumper. Battery seems like a good idea but you will still have to run the cable to it Going to be cable either way. Just go to a welding supply company- its cheap enough there. If you were thinking running the battery unsupported, It wont last long. If my engine isn't running, My big winch drains it pretty quick even with no load. About one full pull is it.

Last edited by Ianf406; 02-03-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Ianf406
I would just mount a hawse fairlead on the outside of the bumper so it didn't tear up your line/bumper. Battery seems like a good idea but you will still have to run the cable to it Going to be cable either way. Just go to a welding supply company- its cheap enough there. If you were thinking running the battery unsupported, It wont last long. If my engine isn't running, My big winch drains it pretty quick even with no load. About one full pull is it.
Ok. I know it needs cables, just not ran all the way to the front is what I was meaning.. I need to work on complete thoughts lol

You said exactly what I was going to do, the rollers are going on the outside with a hook and strap coming out. I want it to look factory as much as possible.

So I know the battery can drain quickly... I was thinking of having a charger in the rear and just turn it on to charge the battery but I see that that could be a failure waiting to happen. Would running wires up to the front be the best/most cost efficient option?
Old 02-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Running the cables as in bypass the idea of a battery in the rear.

Or

Hook up a duel battery set up?

Quick Reply: 2,500 lb winch for lite work