Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 XJ Turbo install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 cylinder
Default 1999 XJ Turbo install?

I have a 1999 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 inline 6. I have a few turbos from mid 80s Mercedes Benz 5 cylinder diesel engines. What I'm needing help with is, can I take one of these non computer controlled turbos, put it on my jeep and it work properly? This may seem like a silly question, but I'm new at mods and jeep stuff.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Having the turbo puts you at about 1% there. The rest is easy...

Do a "title" forum search on turbos, and you'll find lots of dreamers just like you. Here's a good thread over at the other board that shows what it really takes:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1094822

Unfortunately, the pics are broken due to PhotoBucket's evil empire, but you'll get the jest of just how big of a project this is.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

Can you weld? This manifold cost roughly $80 to make. Sch40 mild steel from a scrap yard sold at $2 a pound and eBay sourced flanges for the t3 and external wastegate option. The turbo is a holset h1c off of a 5.9 Cummins generator. I bought it for $50 because the seller thought it was blown. They all leak oil into the turbine after a while. Another $50 into it to rebuild and upgrade the thrust bearing and the turbine oil seal.
Manifold $80
Turbo $100

I picked up my 1913 FIC from modernperformance. $390

36lbs ev1 injectors $100 for 8

Used wastegate for $80

AEM Wideband o2 sensor. $160 It doesn't not matter if you run 5psi or 30 psi a wideband is a must. A tuning device is necessary at any level of above atmosphere performance.

Down pipe was made from an "S" bend what a v band flange from eBay. $50?

Optional custom extension harness for $60

Charge Piping and couplers 180?

Fittings turbo feed and drain with bulkhead $80?

Anything with a ? Mark I have forgotten exactly what I paid and is a close estimate.

When choosing a turbo best bet is to ask yourself what power goal you want to make and how much air you need to make that goal. Then find the turbos you have available to you and look up their individual flow maps. 5 psi from one turbo can be wildly different from another.

If you are actually serious about starting this project my advice is to buy what ever tuning device you want and wire it in while the truck is N/A. That way you get an idea of the learning curve you are entering.

Finally, when a turbo manifold comes on the market that is below $300 I see slot more people that will be interested in turbo jeep.

This was my post from another similar thread.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by robertj
Having the turbo puts you at about 1% there. The rest is easy...

Do a "title" forum search on turbos, and you'll find lots of dreamers just like you. Here's a good thread over at the other board that shows what it really takes:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1094822

Unfortunately, the pics are broken due to PhotoBucket's evil empire, but you'll get the jest of just how big of a project this is.
Geez, that's hardcore....kinda hard to do over a couple days lol. I'm definitely going to have to do much more research.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cummins93
Can you weld? This manifold cost roughly $80 to make. Sch40 mild steel from a scrap yard sold at $2 a pound and eBay sourced flanges for the t3 and external wastegate option. The turbo is a holset h1c off of a 5.9 Cummins generator. I bought it for $50 because the seller thought it was blown. They all leak oil into the turbine after a while. Another $50 into it to rebuild and upgrade the thrust bearing and the turbine oil seal.
Manifold $80
Turbo $100

I picked up my 1913 FIC from modernperformance. $390

36lbs ev1 injectors $100 for 8

Used wastegate for $80

AEM Wideband o2 sensor. $160 It doesn't not matter if you run 5psi or 30 psi a wideband is a must. A tuning device is necessary at any level of above atmosphere performance.

Down pipe was made from an "S" bend what a v band flange from eBay. $50?

Optional custom extension harness for $60

Charge Piping and couplers 180?

Fittings turbo feed and drain with bulkhead $80?

Anything with a ? Mark I have forgotten exactly what I paid and is a close estimate.

When choosing a turbo best bet is to ask yourself what power goal you want to make and how much air you need to make that goal. Then find the turbos you have available to you and look up their individual flow maps. 5 psi from one turbo can be wildly different from another.

If you are actually serious about starting this project my advice is to buy what ever tuning device you want and wire it in while the truck is N/A. That way you get an idea of the learning curve you are entering.

Finally, when a turbo manifold comes on the market that is below $300 I see slot more people that will be interested in turbo jeep.

This was my post from another similar thread.
I can weld for sure, with a stick machine lol. That manifold looks awesome! How did you weld it together, as in did you use stick or wire? Did you ever make a drawing of the manifold?
Old 09-15-2017, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

I used a mig 175. The bend between the flange and the inside of cylinder 3 and 4 would have sucked with a stick. Not enough control.

I don't have any drawing of it yet.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins93
I used a mig 175. The bend between the flange and the inside of cylinder 3 and 4 would have sucked with a stick. Not enough control.

I don't have any drawing of it yet.
The more I research mods, the more I realize I should invest in a good wire machine.