Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 XJ rear disc swap on D35 - parking brake cable nightmare (yet again!)

Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Diesel
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.1L Renault "J8S"
Default 1989 XJ rear disc swap on D35 - parking brake cable nightmare (yet again!)

Hello all,

I know this has been asked many times, over and over again, but I cannot find a clear answer.

I have swapped everything from a ZJ and everything works except for the parking brake. I need cables! I also got the ZJ's cables but they are too short. I no longer have my XJ cables.

I have an 89 XJ with 5.5 inches of lift in the rear with a d35. I have measured 136 cm (53.54 inches) from the backing plate lever to the tapped rod. I measured this with the XJ on the ground so this length doesn't take axle droop into account!

Some recommended the Rough Trail disc brake cables but they are only 52" long, too short! I emailed Morris 4x4's cutomer support and they say it's the closest they have for my setup, stating that the longer cables are 70" long, way too long according to them.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rough-t...52-dbc-05.html

Some others mention passenger side YJ cables. These are also listed on the jeep4x4center.com website and are 64.75 inches long. They are also made for disc brake setups so I imagine they could fit. The customer support said they could not confirm that it will be suitable (typical).

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rough-t...le-dbc-01.html

My only request is to have the feedback from one of you guys that have used this YJ cable on their XJ, those who have recommended this cable told me it was on their todo list and haven't yet installed them!

So? Which cable do I get? I need this quite urgently because I need my parking brake to pass inspection! Thanks in advance!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

Jeep liberty parking cables worked perfectly on mine with 6.5 in of lift.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:48 PM

Year: 1990 Diesel
Engine: 2.1L Renault "J8S"

Originally Posted by OleBlue
Jeep liberty parking cables worked perfectly on mine with 6.5 in of lift.
Thanks for your response but KJs have an offset cable layout like late model XJs (driver's side cable is shorter than pax side) so they aren't compatible for my 89.

Do you have zj disc brakes on yours?