Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.5" Lift questions....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1.5" Lift questions....

I am looking to raise my 96 Cherokee up a little. The wife drives it for the most part but we do like to take it off road and into the mud. I dont want some massive lift but just something that will more just help the looks of it out and let me put on some bigger tires. So I have been looking at the Rough Country 1.5 inch suspension lift. My main question is....Will this kit be all I need? Will I need to modify or buy anything else? I know I seen a thread on here once about what needed to be done to your XJ based on what size lift you were going to buy but I cant seem to find it. Also any one have this lift? Likes...dislikes...and any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

You could get a spacer shackle lift for like 50 bucks. I would go three inches. It really doesn't make it that tall
Old 04-22-2011, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0HO

get the 2" front coil spacer (normally they are more like 1 3/4")

then get superior automotive part number 13-4100 (shackle) for $35 on it's lowest setting it will lift the rear about 1.6"
Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

the budget boost (already mentioned) is the cheapest and easiest way to "lift" your rig. in reality the BB only lifts the body, not the actual chassi. it is really more for helping clear bigger tires. but this is a good place to start. generally a 2 or 3" BB is big enough. as for actual sus. old man emu (OME) has a very quality 2" lift. if you were to do the combo of a true lift and a BB youd be pretty happy. when doing a smaller lift like this you dont run into the problems of needing to adjust driveline angles and relocating the track bar and longer break lines like you do with a 4 inch...
Old 04-22-2011, 10:38 AM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by VTJeep
the budget boost (already mentioned) is the cheapest and easiest way to "lift" your rig. in reality the BB only lifts the body, not the actual chassi.
Please explain how this lifts "only" the body.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

the spacers dont add any extra height to your sus. they simply lift the unitbody off the chassi more. it gives you more clearance in the wheel wells, but the untire undercarrage of jeep reamins at the same height. its like a model car; the platform that the wheels are attached (chassi) to is one unit. the body (shell) is a separate unit. so if you were to put spacers in between where the shell and the chassi meet, your clearance wouldnt change, but the body would be higher. its because of where the spacers sit. the front is on top of the coil overs and the rear is a longer bracket.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by VTJeep
the budget boost (already mentioned) is the cheapest and easiest way to "lift" your rig. in reality the BB only lifts the body, not the actual chassi. it is really more for helping clear bigger tires. but this is a good place to start. generally a 2 or 3" BB is big enough. as for actual sus. old man emu (OME) has a very quality 2" lift. if you were to do the combo of a true lift and a BB youd be pretty happy. when doing a smaller lift like this you dont run into the problems of needing to adjust driveline angles and relocating the track bar and longer break lines like you do with a 4 inch...
you are all wrong... the BB is the cheapest, but that is because it is small

the BB does not lift the body in the front it makes the front coil mounting position lower... which pushes the axle further from the body...

and you need to adjust driveline angles and the track bar for ANY lift...

it might not shift the axle much at 1", 2", or 3" but it WILL shift the axle... it is simple geometry

basically as you lift the front end it has the same effect on the track back as making it shorter...

play with a triangle calculator and you will see what I mean
Old 04-22-2011, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

I can tell you I have a 2" spacer front, and 2" shckles rear, you need longer shocks. IF YOU WILL NOT EVER EVER GO OFFROAD EVER, you won't need longer brake lines, but if you do go off road, you need longer brake lines, or move the mounting points on the front ones. Nothing else is absolutely needed.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:17 PM

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I'm going to keep researching on lifts. I don't think I want to go more then the 1.5 or 2 inch mark. We want to take it off road but its always just in a muddy area. There's a place we go and its just muddy hills and what not. Haven't taken it through the woods or anything serious really. We don't go "rock crawling" either. Nothing really different then normal driving really just a ton of mud and its never that deep. We aren't too crazy.....I know we should really go "off road" with it but its a daily driver and needs to stay like that. So basically if I go with the 1.5 or 2 inch lifts like you recomend....do I need to extend my brake lines? Should I? I'm not really going to stretch the limits of the jeep and its suspension. Just looking for a better look. Plus my shocks are bad and I thought mght as well do a small lift at the same time.

Sent from my DROID INCREDIBLE using Cherokee Forum
Old 04-22-2011, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

If you are going to leave the pavement whatsoever yes you need either longer front, or moving the mounting bracket on the brake line
You can tell the parts store 1996 Chevy 1500 2wd for the front brake hoses, you may have to grind the "block", where you put the bolt through (I did it) to make them fit, I can send you some pics, and a 2000 Dodge dakota rear brake line is a swap in, I think both of these are good to 5" lift.

Last edited by mentalbreakdown00; 04-22-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Sweet. Ya I know my brakes lines are getting rough so that's a good idea for me to do. Might as well do all of them. No point in doing it twice. Ya if you can send or post a pic that would help. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID INCREDIBLE using Cherokee Forum
Old 04-22-2011, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 litre

i will have to find the picture, but i moved my front brake hose lower so it would reach. i have seen people buy a bracket to move them, but thats just a waist of money. and i did the Dakota brake hose in the rear as well. one problem i ran into was the hose didn't fit in the body side bracket, but it aint nothing zip-ties couldnt fix.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

The rear line fit my 95 perfect.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 PM

Anyone try to have the Old Man Emu 2" lift?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:39 AM

Year: 1997

I hear they are nice but they r so expensive

Quick Reply: 1.5" Lift questions....