Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ZJ or WJ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ZJ or WJ?

A couple of months ago I picked up a modded 98 XJ and I love it. But after digging into it, I'm finding more and more things wrong. I've got just about everything fixed with the exception of the rust issues. I'm uncovering more each time I get under it. I'm thinking about parking it, gutting it, ripping out the floors, media blasting the undercarriage and applying a few coats of rubber liner to it. But that's going to take time and I'll need a vehicle.

So on to my questions. I'm considering picking up a ZJ or WJ to make my daily while the XJ is down. But I have no idea what to look for or what to stay away from. What years are better than others or a particular trim package to look for?What areas of concern should I look into? Which 4WD option is the best (part time/full time)? I remember a long time ago hearing they had tremendous transmission issues but I don't know the exacts of that. I'll want to throw a small lift and tires on to so I can still enjoy getting away but nothing crazy.

Thanks for any help you can proved.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want a v8 get a zj if you want a inline 6 either of them will do.I would go zj because they are cheaper and leaves you more money for upgrades.If you live in a place that gets snow i would go all time 4x4 if you live somewhere it don't snow part time would be better.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I would recommend a 96-98 ZJ if you're wanting a V8, but it will have the NP249 transfercase. That is a junk t-case that could easily be swapped out for the 231. A ZJ with the 4.0 may have the 249 case too, so make sure to look at what is there. I would not recommend a WJ with a 4.7, they are not a very hardy engine that can deal with much abuse. But if you can find one that has been well cared for and has the paperwork to back it up you should be ok. The WJ 4.0 in the 99-01 years might have cylinder head issues with cracking. The WJ rides and handles better than the ZJ because of a better steering design and has bigger brakes, the control arms are beefier too. I think the ZJ has a more rugged look when compared to the WJ. The WJ looks like a Caravan to me, but once they're lifted with some bigger rubber they look awesome.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

I'd recommend the WJ, I owned a ZJ (96) & a WJ (04) & for a DD the WJ with the I-6 was great. I drive an 07 Commander now for my DD, but if I could find a WJ with lower miles, I'd buy that in a heart beat. They ride really nice & are super comfortable. For me, an 8 cylinder isn't necessary & we all know that the 4.0's are bullet proof. As always, look for rust.

Just my $ .02 WJ all the way

Last edited by caronaxtr; 03-15-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Here we go I prefer the WJ 99-04 but mine is a DD body styling and new headlights/tail lights.

My 2004 "Overland" edition loaded has every option offered except GPS. Options included in that package included the 4.7HO engine, Towing Package (all HD with 3.73 gears), D30/D44 with Vari-Lok Progressive Differentials. That's just a few things the list is a very, very long one.

It has every option my 2012 Lincoln Town Car has and a few more, in fact the surprising thing is how well it rides for the HD suspension and towing package. It does tow my race car trailer and the XJ very well also. It has 205,000 on the engine & trans zero issues not even an oil leak and uses no oil between changes 6 mo., 6,000 mi. Castrol Syn

Here they are hooked up and ready to go a while back.

Name:  1999JeepXJ005_zps40a7393c.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  81.7 KB

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 03-15-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Here we go I prefer the WJ 99-04 but mine is a DD body styling and new headlights/tail lights.

My 2004 "Overland" edition loaded has every option offered except GPS. Options included in that package included the 4.7HO engine, Towing Package (all HD with 3.73 gears), D30/D44 with Vari-Lok Progressive Differentials. That's just a few things the list is a very, very long one.

It has every option my 2012 Lincoln Town Car has and a few more, in fact the surprising thing is how well it rides for the HD suspension and towing package. It does tow my race car trailer and the XJ very well also.

Here they are hooked up and ready to go a while back.

Fred.... That setup looks awesome. Your WJ tows that trailer & the XJ without any issues? great setup
Old 03-16-2015, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

A limited wj like his can pull 6500 if i remember right.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Andrew may be correct I looked on my build sheet and all it said was Class IV Towing Group that showed oil, steering, trans coolers.

As for towing the trailer the HO engine has no problems and the trailer has brakes on both axles I ordered it that way in 2002. Does it pull it as well as my F-350 PS Diesel no, but does a very good job and it always gets looks at the off road parks when we pull in with both of them.