XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Your opinion: Whats a fair deal?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8
Default Your opinion: Whats a fair deal?

I have a generous cousin, and he's making me a deal again.

He's primarily a Toyota wheeler, but keeps coming up with jeep parts for me. In the past, he has found a grand cherokee for my wife thats two lockers short of a complete build for dirt cheap, four or five sets of mud tires and rims, a winch, and about any cherokee or grand cherokee part I've wanted for four years now, including two whole parts vehicles for pretty cheap (or trade, in one case).

Now he has a pile of parts, and I havent a clue what to offer for them. Any thoughts?

Set of homebrew beadlock rims with tires
Pair of rock sliders
longarm parts and some parts for a lift
A locked rear end (dont know what kind yet), ability to trade a set of axles I have in on the pair.
Roof rack
transfer case (that I can trade a 21spline form so thats a draw)
Possibly other odds and ends.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

It's all gunna depend on the quality and condition of the parts... You need pictures
Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8

Spent the weekend pulling parts. This is what I ended up with:
4 modified stock rims (now beadlocked) with 50% tread 33" tires.
1 spare wheel, not beadlocked, different tire but same size.
Dana 30, stock, open carrier, 4.10 gears, 1.5" wheel spacers.
Ford 8.8, 1.5" wheel spacers, 4.10 gears, it appears this had a stock limited slip that someone attempted to weld the spider gears, but did a rather lousy job and most of the welds cracked off, except for enough to tell it had been welded, including an odd bit of weld going up to the ring gear. The axle housing was done well as far as mounting into a cherokee, though.
Driveline for manual trans/ford 8.8. Just a stock shaft with the ford flange on it.
NP231 transfer case
AX15 transmission (to sell)
(complete engine mated to the trans, that runs ok, but is presumed high mileage origional engine).
Lift coil springs, unknown make or height. Had about 1" spacer on top.
Fairly long travel shocks with a flex joint on the upper end. Probably junk (damaged), but a place to start to find a good set for a longarm setup.
Longarm set. It looks like it had been a production kit that has been modified slightly. Looks strong.
Set of leafs from who knows what. Similar to S10, but one end is slightly different. One top leaf is broken. Feel really limber. Pin/perches are offset by an inch forward, like S10.
Lift shackles
misc extra wiring harness, fuse block, computer as spares
cherrybomb muffler
beefy winch bumper that needs sandblasted, repainted or powdercoated. Doubles as steering box brace.
Large roof rack. Has some damage but repairable and needs to be repainted.

All in all, not a bad pile of parts, but well used. No yukon locker ( we had been told there was one, but both axles have spider gears, rear looks like it had clutch packs beside the spiders, so Im assuming this is a stock limited slip).

Rear end will be cleaned and gone through, splines counted, and ring and pinion checked. If its in servicable condition, Ill weld it up proper and play with it that way. If its messed up I have another 8.8 sitting here I can pull the carrier out of.

Everything is rusty and needs a good cleaning and repainting, but most of it is pretty beefy (at least as far as the long arms and the bumper goes).