Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8
Default Yay or Nay?

I have a lead on a 2000 4X4 Sport. The only thing wrong with it so far is they said the a/c doesn't work. Asked what was wrong with it and replied, "Compressor, but I do not know whether it is the whole unit or just the clutch. It screeched loudly one morning when I turned on the defroster, so I turned it off and removed the A/C fuse. The belt is still on, however, so it didn't lock up tight."

He is asking 3500 for it, but I thought maybe if that wasn't such a big item to have fixed I would talk him down in price since it needs a repair and winter is coming and I wouldn't need a/c right away anyway. So I guess question is, worth it or pass?
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.0

More often than not, the screeching belt noise when turning on AC or defrost, is usually due to the belt not being tight enough.
I would not let the AC be a deal breaker, but it is a point to negotiate the price lower.
The deciding factor for me is how corrosion free it is. I suggest crawling under it and looking at the floorboards, rocker panels and frame-rails. Is there any rust? Is there any fresh paint under there that may be hiding something?
If you plan on lifting, than any rusted or corroded bolts can become a nightmare.

Last edited by SteveMongr; 10-23-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
More often than not, the screeching belt noise when turning on AC or defrost, is usually due to the belt not being tight enough.
The deciding factor for me is how corrosion free it is. I suggest crawling under it and looking at the floorboards, rocker panels and frame-rails. Is there any rust? Is there any fresh paint under there that may be hiding something?
If you plan on lifting, than any rusted or corroded bolts can become a nightmare.
Thanks. He says the heat works fine and blows fine it was just the A/C on defrost. Which why someone would run A/C on defrost is a little weird. I asked him to send me several pics of underside before I continue.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Stuey1975
Thanks. He says the heat works fine and blows fine it was just the A/C on defrost. Which why someone would run A/C on defrost is a little weird. I asked him to send me several pics of underside before I continue.

Thanks for the help.
When defrost is selected the AC turns on automatically. It is this way for most every vehicle. The dry air is what does the work of defrosting/dehumidifying the windshield.

Last edited by SteveMongr; 10-23-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
When defrost is selected the AC turns on automatically. It is this way for most every vehicle. The cool air is what does the work of defrosting/dehumidifying the windshield.
It's really the dehumidifying aspect of ac that is useful. In winter you will still be blowing hot air as selected via the temp control, however the ac will run to remove moisture faster than heat alone.

While it is fairly standard on the modern vehicle, it's something that wasn't the case 20 years ago.

To the op, ac is not an absolute requirement or your defrost to work. My XJ doesn't even have ac and my defrost works fine.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 PM

It sold this afternoon before I could even look at it.

On to the next one.
Thanks for all the help folks.