Sponsored by: DashLynx

xj or yj

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default xj or yj

I am new to this forum. I have a huge decision to make. I do not own a xj an I never have. I am a jeeper, I own a 95 yj I love my jeep. I am trying to decide the pros and cons of trading it for a xj. I can ny afford to own both s much as i would love to. I have found a few xj s that i am interested in. So I geusse I am asking what to look for as far as problems and what to stay away from. I made a few bad oices when buying my last jeep, like not getting the 4.0 and buying the yj with leaf springs instead of coil sprigs. I plan on the xj being both my daily driver and wheeling it. I have found 3 with lifts and 3 without. all are 98 or newer and all have 100k miles or more they also all have the 4.0. please help my yj needs some work but it has been great, i just dont know if i want to put the moey into it or tart another project.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:40 AM

Year: 1999

I'll tell you this. I had a 91 yj. All modified and unique. But I traded for a xj. And I don't regret nothing one bit. Just check to make sure the uniframe is clean and no engine noises of course.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Sometimes, when you buy a jeep that's already modified. You'll often spend almost as much time fixing some of the little things that aren't to your liking as building one up from stock.

When I bought my 99, it already had the Rubicon Express lift on it. After a few months the springs began to drop. AAL's were added to already drooping springs which didn't hold arc long. With what was supposed to be a 3"rear lift turned out to be a 1.5" comprised of a 3" AAL and a 1.5" spacer. Had to fix the sway bar...still need to fix the Rubicon 16's...took several sets of rails before I finally decided to just remove the roof rack.

On the other hand, my friend bought a stock 92 and has put a lot less effort putting the exact same lift on it...
Old 10-20-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by xjzaped
Sometimes, when you buy a jeep that's already modified. You'll often spend almost as much time fixing some of the little things that aren't to your liking as building one up from stock. When I bought my 99, it already had the Rubicon Express lift on it. After a few months the springs began to drop. AAL's were added to already drooping springs which didn't hold arc long. With what was supposed to be a 3"rear lift turned out to be a 1.5" comprised of a 3" AAL and a 1.5" spacer. Had to fix the sway bar...still need to fix the Rubicon 16's...took several sets of rails before I finally decided to just remove the roof rack. On the other hand, my friend bought a stock 92 and has put a lot less effort putting the exact same lift on it...
This decribes it perfectly! My xj has a sagging right rear spring I've noticed.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:45 PM

Ok I test drove a 2001 xj 3 inch rough country lift baja kevlar tires xrc front bumber and winch. But it had a noise. May hav been the tranny. It has definitely been wheeled. How do the tranny hold up with lifts and bigger tires? Should I just buy one that hasn't been lifted and do it my self? And what is the best lift to go with I want a least a 4.5.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

Avoid 2000/2001 XJs since they are known to have a cracked head when overheated. 1999 is considered to be the best year. I like the Renix years, 87-90, I do not like OBD. Best thing about the XJ compared to a YJ is that parts are cheaper and more available. Every junkyard I have been to has more XJs than Wranglers. You are probably better off buying a stock XJ and choosing the lift for it. Might even save some money that way.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look for a 99 or older and virgin no mods at all.Check the t case tag look for np231 its the best factory option one.The reason i say virgin is not all lift brands are the same and most cheaper brands suck and people use them a lot because of the price.And you get to do it all your way and you know what all has been done and done right.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyJeepGuy

This decribes it perfectly! My xj has a sagging right rear spring I've noticed.
Does it also ride rougher than hell? 5 minutes after I got the Rubicon Express replacement springs on, took it for a test drive...I was jumping terraces and didn't even notice until one of my friends pointed it out. Didn't know a jeep could ride so well.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 on going with a stock one.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If the jeep was a auto its the aw4 and that is a pretty strong trans so the sound you heard could be anything really.Lift price depends brand and if you want long arm or keep it short arm.If you want to go off road long arm is worth the money.If money is no problem http://www.tntcustoms.com/xj.aspx http://www.full-traction.com/ http://www.claytonoffroad.com/index.html a good budget brand http://www.rubiconexpress.com/
Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

How many lifted Jeeps for sale are really in good shape? Either they're almost dead, half-finished, or the owner just can't afford to fix problems anymore. Too many risks if you plan on driving it more than a few months. Not to mention BS like cheap RC leaf springs and 35s on stock gears burning out transmissions.

Definitely getting a pristine stocker and building it yourself would be wiser.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 AM

I went from a 92 YJ to a 97 XJ, and the things I personally have found.....

The XJ is alot quieter to drive, no more cranking radio over the wind noise.
The XJ is alot warmer in cold weather.
The XJ has alot of room to carry your gear and whatever else, the YJ you have to take the back seat out and still don't have much room then.
The longer wheelbase is alot more stable in rough off camber situations.

I do miss the feeling of cruising around with the top off.

If I could afford both, I would own both, If I had to choose.....mmmmm....The XJ!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Little Red XJ
I went from a 92 YJ to a 97 XJ, and the things I personally have found.....

The XJ is alot quieter to drive, no more cranking radio over the wind noise.
The XJ is alot warmer in cold weather.
The XJ has alot of room to carry your gear and whatever else, the YJ you have to take the back seat out and still don't have much room then.
The longer wheelbase is alot more stable in rough off camber situations.

I do miss the feeling of cruising around with the top off.

If I could afford both, I would own both, If I had to choose.....mmmmm....The XJ!
Not to mention of you pull the carpet out of an AW4 equipped XJ you also get radiant heat off the transmission and can use that to heat the interior in the winter. How much? All of it...I generally roll my Windows down in the winter...
Old 10-22-2013, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by xjzaped
I generally roll my Windows down in the winter...
X2, gotta love the heat they put off in the winter months… sucks in the summer!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Look for a 99 or older and virgin no mods at all.Check the t case tag look for np231 its the best factory option one.
Uh definitely the most available, but not the best.

Agree with everyone saying that you should buy a stocker.