XJ price advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default XJ price advice

Found a link for a emerald green 1998 Cherokee Sport with a 5 sp. manual and 117431 miles on it, dealer has it listed at $4975, Edmunds has dealer price as $3576. My question is, what do you think I can get a dealer to reasonably go down to on that? I know dealers are always a little bit more expensive, but I havent been able to find anything I like on craigslist or the newspapers. Appreciate the help.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Old 12-27-2010, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by Holliday79navy
Found a link for a emerald green 1998 Cherokee Sport with a 5 sp. manual and 117431 miles on it, dealer has it listed at $4975, Edmunds has dealer price as $3576. My question is, what do you think I can get a dealer to reasonably go down to on that? I know dealers are always a little bit more expensive, but I havent been able to find anything I like on craigslist or the newspapers. Appreciate the help.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
You should be able to negotiate it to at least $3500, for this one id try to get around there but id personally feel more comfertable at around $3200. If I were you id go test drive it and check all fluid levels, how the clutch/brakes feel and check the tires and then tell the dealer whats wrong with it if their is anything including rust, shocks, brakes ect. ect. and try and knock the price down, its worked for me in the past. Good luck and keep us posted on your search.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM

This is my first time buying from a dealer. I have always bought from family and friends before so this will be my first time having to haggle a price. Would be happy if I can get a grand or so off.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: Gas

Dealer probably paid 1200 for it ...
Old 12-27-2010, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Holliday79navy
This is my first time buying from a dealer. I have always bought from family and friends before so this will be my first time having to haggle a price. Would be happy if I can get a grand or so off.
You should easily. If you have cash its a big negotiating factor. For example Im 17 and a local dealership had a Wrangler I was interested in, They wanted 15,000, I talked them down to 10,500 for it with a bunch of new parts and a brand new soft top to go with the hard top. They also offered me 1,500 for my XJ on trade in, In turn I got it up to 6,000. It also pays to know your stuff about the vehicle you want to buy, I baffled the guy completely talking about all the options of jeep at the time. Deal fell through but its a good example to show that if you know what your talking about and your confident when you talk then you can basically get a price right where you want it on the vehicle you want. If you want any more info just ask and id be more then willing to help.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:57 PM

I definitely know Jeeps, always on the forums, mag subscriptions, have owned a YJ, TJ, and FSJ, and I am paying with cash. Like I said, was just worried about talkin them down and how far they would be willing to go. I figure I have about 3 weeks until I get my re-enlistment bonus so I am now getting serious about looking and asking what little questions I can think of.

Originally Posted by XxXJ99xX
You should easily. If you have cash its a big negotiating factor. For example Im 17 and a local dealership had a Wrangler I was interested in, They wanted 15,000, I talked them down to 10,500 for it with a bunch of new parts and a brand new soft top to go with the hard top. They also offered me 1,500 for my XJ on trade in, In turn I got it up to 6,000. It also pays to know your stuff about the vehicle you want to buy, I baffled the guy completely talking about all the options of jeep at the time. Deal fell through but its a good example to show that if you know what your talking about and your confident when you talk then you can basically get a price right where you want it on the vehicle you want. If you want any more info just ask and id be more then willing to help.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

it says automatic in description and manual in features.
keep in mind that a dealer WILL LIE. about everything. even salvage title. they do not care if they get into trouble as long as they can make a sale. so, if he show you the blue book on the vehicle, tell him to walk out with you and go through each item that added value.
things like
cruise control,
ABS,
premium wheels,
CD player.
heck, when i bought my truck, the dealer had pulled the kbb for a truck with sunroof, cruise, power locks, power windows. my truck had none of those. he was selling it for 16 grand with 10k-1 year warranty, i talked him down to 14 grand with 36k-3year warranty. and since i caught him in every lie, i told him that i don't believe anything he tells me. then i told him that i'm gonna make my own offer, take it or leave it. there are plenty of good deals around. just like someone already said, he probably paid less than 1500 for that jeep.

Last edited by Tural; 12-27-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:47 PM

I noticed that about the transmission, but in one of the pictures you can just make out the shifter boot. Even if I decide on another model instead, around here everything is listed around the same price, so I will still have an idea how much to try to get them to go down. And I will get a Carfax before I pay for anything.

Originally Posted by Tural
keep in mind that a dealer WILL LIE. about everything. even salvage title. they do not care if they get into trouble as long as they can make a sale. so, if he show you the blue book on the vehicle, tell him to walk out with you and go through each item that added value.
things like
cruise control,
ABS,
premium wheels,
CD player.
heck, when i bought my truck, the dealer had pulled the kbb for a truck with sunroof, cruise, power locks, power windows. my truck had none of those. he was selling it for 16 grand with 10k-1 year warranty, i talked him down to 14 grand with 36k-3year warranty. and since i caught him in every lie, i told him that i don't believe anything he tells me. then i told him that i'm gonna make my own offer, take it or leave it. there are plenty of good deals around. just like someone already said, he probably paid less than 1500 for that jeep.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tural
things like
cruise control,
ABS,
premium wheels,
CD player.
Agreed on them lying their ***es off. Guy tried to sell me that TJ with worn out shocks, shot 2nd gear syncro, very low brown coolent, rusty brake lines and It was a bare model wrangler except for the CD player and 4.0 with AC. Be sure to point out all flaws and make sure to get a car fax. I got screwed on my first XJ because it was in a front end collision and I bought it from a family dealership thinking I was going to get a good deal. Wrong. Spent $400 on ball joints and a bunch of other front end parts and had another $100 in debt on my birthday because everything was SHOT, bottom line is to never trust anyone when they sell something.

Last edited by XxXJ99xX; 12-27-2010 at 09:05 PM.