Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

XJ Advice!

Old 01-26-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default XJ Advice!

Hello Cherokee Forum, new member here looking for advice from the community.

I purchased a 2001 XJ Sport 4 door from a used car lot. This has been a few years ago now. I knew I was over paying a bit, but really liked it and had big plans.
I replaced the head unit, bluetooth Kenwood/CD, all 4 speakers, 6.5 kickers, 2" medium duty OME lift, 30x9.5 Toyo Open Countries that still have decent tread on them. Red with tan cloth interior and now has just 145k miles on it. I'm looking for a value for individual sale.
Background:
I purchased it as a second vehicle, I'm on my 2nd 2 door unlimited since 2005, currently a 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara package, 1 of 1000 ever made. The Cherokee was meant to be a second, more comfortable vehicle for some daily driving and on longer trips. It worked admirably for a while but when "old Jeep" issues started appearing the Cherokee took second fiddle to the Wrangler. Currently there are electrical issues, front door speaker no longer works, windows only open from driver door, rear wiper doesn't work. The rust is coming on strong, even though it looks great from a distance still, it needs immediate attention. There is a spot on the unibody frame that is fixable, rockers need fixed and I am starting to see some surface rust.
So, after that long winded explanation of where she's at, the lift is awesome, the interior is good to great and the mileage is incredible, my Wrangler has 235k on it and runs great! I know it is a bit of a project, but does have valuable redeeming qualities. I know I'm going to take a huge hit, but I would really appreciate some feedback from folks more knowledgeable of the XJ market.
Final question, if I put new rockers on it, patch the frame, take care of surface rust and get all the electricals working, which I would pay someone to do, is it going to be worth it on the sell side?
Much appreciated.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Kind of hard to say if the repair work will translate to the sale side. How much did you pay for the XJ? How much will the repairs cost? Are there things you can do to save money on the repairs?
When you figure out the repair side cost can you live with the difference between paid price and selling price? Consider what you would take for it "as is", subtract the repair cost and can you live with what's left? Or consider what you would take fo it "as is", add the repair cost and could you get the asking price?
Gotta start with all cost involved............