Wrecking Yard Score

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Wrecking Yard Score

I've been needing some parts, and this morning checked the only wrecking yard for about an 85 mile radius. They had 5 XJ's, one '99 and the rest older.
I needed a rear bumper, drivers side tail light lens, driver door weatherstrip, the little clip that secures the hood prop, two lift gate struts, and a drivers seat, as my 1989 Laredo came with a dinner plate size hole in the seat with foam missing. I thought if they didn't want too much, I'd just replace both front seats, so they'd look the same.
I got out my tools, shot some Liquid Wrench on the bolts, and proceeded to start removing a chrome bumper with end caps. There was also a bluish color bumper and a grey one, but the paint was bad on them.
I will eventually get some custom bumpers, but for now the chrome one will match my factory front chrome bumper, better than no bumper at all.
Not too long into the removal the wrench slipped off and my knuckle hit the edge of the hitch and gashed the skin on my knuckle deep. After stemming the flow of blood with a clean rag had brought along, I rummaged through the center console of the donor vehicle and found a packet containing an antiseptic wipe, and two large band aids. Those first aid items must have been waiting there for years for me to come along and need them !
I got the 4 bottom bolts off, then saw the two upper bolts holding the bumper to the bracket were way up inside, so I left the bumper for a while and went and looked at a white 1991.
I lifted the rear hatch and saw one of the struts was good, so I removed that to put in my pile.. There was a bunch of trash and interior panels in the back, moving some of that aside saw a front skid plate ! Score !
I removed two front seats that were nice shape, grey like the rest of my interior, but slightly different cloth, and peeled off the drivers side weatherstrip, taillight housing, and got a hood prop clip and a bigger oil filler cap, ( that didn't fit).
I was getting tired, and it was getting hot, so I thought I'd return early tomorrow to get the bumper.
My ball mount for the hitch on my '89 was so rusted in, I couldn't get it out.
I soaked it with penetrating fluid, beat it in all directions with a sledge hammer to loosen it up, then chained it to the tractor bucket, pulled and it still wouldn't budge.
I saw a couple hitches in better shape than mine, so tomorrow, along with the bumper, I'll grab one, and the one I want also has a steel skid plate around the gas tank.
I'll take that one off to replace the plastic skid I now have on my gas tank.
Got almost everything I needed off that white 1991 !
The guy at the counter had told me before hand he would only charge $40 a piece for the seats, and ended up charging me $20 for all the rest of the stuff. Not a bad deal at all.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Man... I miss having decent yards to rummage