Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Aftermarket Tire Rack

Hi all,

So I'm new to having an XJ (like a week in) and already am less than satisfied with the spare tire mount in the trunk. This is my DD, so I don't want to loose that space. I've hunted around a bit on the Internet to see what other options are, but don't want an overhead rack (don't want to loose the gas milage) and don't want a rack that goes in place of a ball hitch, so I can still tow a boat with it.

My question is: are there swing away hitches that can be mounted on a stock bumper?

Sorry about the long post, and my XJ's a 1999 Sport that's stock other than its tires. Thanks for any help!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

WELCOME

Nothing for the stock bumper I'm aware of. Not much of a bumper as far as strength goes to begin with. There was an optional tire carrier offered from the factory but they're as rare as hen's teeth. In fact I've never even seen one in person. You can check at local JY's maybe.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Welcome to the forum!

You've got two options that I know of:

http://detoursusa.com/tailbone.php

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hi...-carrier-jeep/

The Wilco one does mount in the hitch receiver but still allows you to tow. The Detours one is popular but I see the website says that sales are temporarily suspended... You'd have to call and see what that's about.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not a offroad bumper tire carrier like https://www.quadratec.com/products/12057_8102_07.htm
Old 05-30-2017, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

EZEARL, I did find evidence of those OEM racks, but I doubt I'll be able to find one. I'll definitly try the junk yards though.

4BangerDanger, I did ask about the first rack you posted about already, but haven't gotten a reply yet. I'll post their response here. Any expirience with the second rack?

Andrew, any possible pros/cons with the offroad rack? That idea didn't occur to me.

Thanks again!

Max
Old 05-30-2017, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Max99XJ
4BangerDanger, I did ask about the first rack you posted about already, but haven't gotten a reply yet. I'll post their response here. Any expirience with the second rack?
Unfortunately no. They do look good though. Wilco also makes a lightweight version:

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/

I've been eyeing that one for my 4 cylinder. I just wish it were cheaper lol!
Old 05-30-2017, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What do you mean like a roof rack ?Those can cost about the same you loose roof clearance and with a spare and rack on top your jeep you lose some mpg highway also.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:32 PM

I do like the light version. That's pretty much exactly what I need right now. I do wish it were cheaper too though lol!

I'd rather stear away from a roof mount cause of the lost MPG and I have a bad shoulder, which could be a problem getting the tire up and down.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Guys, before anything else, the word is LOSE not LOOSE. If your shoe was to become untied, you would have a loose shoe. You lose a race.

IMO roof mounting your spare is a terrible idea. It's anything but convenient to have it up there.