wise decision?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Exclamation wise decision?

I have a 2000 xj sport. I saw an offer for a 92 xj for sale or trade. I called the guy and got some info and pictures. It has a 2000 4.0 i6 motor swap.(the same as mine currently) with only 85k on it. A Dana 44 rear with spool.(pros and cons to mine?) A 6-1/2 lift with 35x12.5 super swampers.(wich he told me were seated poorly). Extended rear driveshaft and front control arms. A new seal for the rear driveshaft in transfer case. Aluminum rims.(wich he says are not that great.) A new fuel pump. And a cold air intake. And he also mentioned the transfer case needs to be dropped due to the lift and extension of the d shaft. So I'm looking at some work to get this thing working right and I love going off road for fun but is making this swap worth it? All suggestions will be helpful. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Exclamation and i forgot to add.

My xj is completely stock. Other than new disks in front and pads. New oil filter and oil. And a New crankshaft position sensor. it is strictly stock.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If he is telling you it has problems then you can expect nothing but problems. First rule if offroad vehicles is never buy a lifted vehicle. You never know what corners were cut in the build and what kind of backyard engineering was done to it.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by winston427
If he is telling you it has problems then you can expect nothing but problems. First rule if offroad vehicles is never buy a lifted vehicle. You never know what corners were cut in the build and what kind of backyard engineering was done to it.
x2
Old 01-20-2010, 02:31 PM

Are you talking about trading yours for it or buying it outright?
Whats he asking for it outright ? If the price is low enough even with the problems it may be worth it..
Old 01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Hmmm.. I never really thought buying a pre-lifted veh was a bad idea. I always thought it might be good cuz you'll save a ton on parts, and all that work! But, I can see how a pre-modded veh could be bad also.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djlarroc
Hmmm.. I never really thought buying a pre-lifted veh was a bad idea. I always thought it might be good cuz you'll save a ton on parts, and all that work! But, I can see how a pre-modded veh could be bad also.

You never know where the po cut corners to save a few dollars. I know, that's how I started building mine when I first got it. Now I am spending twice what I should have so that I can make it all right. Some people will buy it stock, throw the cheapest parts on that they can and resell it quickly to someone else who thinks it is an awesome rig.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM

Year: 2008
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.0L CRD

X2 on buying it prelifted and modified.

but, if you are seriously thinking about it, go with the guy to a legitimate shop, preferably one of your choosing, and have them give it a look over. they can tell you exactly what is good/bad/may need changing so you know what to expect if you do decide to go ahead with it.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 PM

Default awsome

There is nothing wrong with my xj at the moment. Other than some random quiet squeeking when I start moving and I need new rear drums..but I don't have much money to beef my ride up that's why i was looking for an alternate route
Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 PM

Default trade

I was looking to trade him it. I'm a poor kid on a min wage job with big hopes
Old 01-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mutinybmx
There is nothing wrong with my xj at the moment. Other than some random quiet squeeking when I start moving and I need new rear drums..but I don't have much money to beef my ride up that's why i was looking for an alternate route
your jeep sounds like it is a good platform right now if you wanted to start doing stuff to it slowly as time goes on when you get the money. that's pretty much what i am doing with mine. over the summer i redid the front and rear brakes (drums, pads for front and rear, new rotors and fluid), and just have been slowly adding things and fixing things as i go. if anything, you could then figure out exactly what lift you want, wheel and tires, and get the exact set up you want. as you go along you will be replacing all the things that are wrong with it anyways. you could very well end up spending the amount repairing the jeep that is already modded on building your current jeep.

offtopic: were you ride at? always good to find a fellow biker out there.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 PM

i guess that is all true. it is only about 500 for a little lift on the jeep. and. i ride in indiana. (where?) yah there is nowhere to ride out here. just went to a competition at circus skatepark in st charles IL. as i am close to chicago in indiana
Old 01-21-2010, 10:53 AM

i just had a friend move out to chicago and start a new job over there. great city! probably is a little safer to ride than detroit with all the nuts, drugs, and corruption that puts peolpe in desperate situations. nothing scarier than hitting a handrail then having to haul *** from a crack head who wants to shank you.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:06 PM

Default yah

The Jeep Most definitely does not like having front speakers. I replaced all the speakers and the cd player. But I have to have the 12v and the constant reversed otherwise the cd player wont turn on