Will they total it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI
Default Will they total it?

Got in a wreck Friday and it messed up my bumper and fender pretty bad. Some guy pulled out in front of me on the street and I hit him (not my fault).

My jeep isn't worth much (kelly bluebook is around $1000) and I don't have any aftermarket items other than my stereo and speakers.

The bumper crushed part of the wheel well so it rubs when I turn making it undrivable.

Here are some pics of the damage (the bumper is worse than it looks, just taken with a phone camera)

So my question is: Do you think that the insurance adjuster will total it?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

they shouldnt unless the airbag went off
Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 AM

The air bag did not go off.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

new bumper new fender.. hopefully the unibody should pull out if it damaged.

I'd take a check and fix it.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

then unless thay hate you,they wont total it,well there not supposed to total it if the airbag didnt deploy
Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

i work in body shops and i write insurance estimates , i just totaled a grand cherokee with just around the same amount of damage , best bet is just repair it yourself and dont turn it in , insurance companies total a vehicle at 60% of value , so price the parts and labor yourself and do the math , it would only take about 600 bucks to total your truck and between parts and labor its a good chance it would be a total , but on the plus side they might hand you a check for a 1000 bucks and you could buy it back for maybe 200 and now you have 800 bucks to fix it yourself but you will now have a salvage title
Old 12-12-2010, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjmuddigger
then unless thay hate you,they wont total it,well there not supposed to total it if the airbag didnt deploy
thats not true at all , you know how many cars ive writen as total loss and the air bags never went off
Old 12-12-2010, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DEVILSTOY
thats not true at all , you know how many cars ive writen as total loss and the air bags never went off
oh,well ive always been told otherwise,but since u do it for a livin,ill go by ur word instead lol
Old 12-12-2010, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjmuddigger
oh,well ive always been told otherwise,but since u do it for a livin,ill go by ur word instead lol
lol its all good , but airbags have nothing to do with totaling a vehicle , there expensive to replace but even if they do go off that doesnt mean the vehicle is a total either , its all about vehicle value
Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 PM

Good news is I've been saving up to get a new one anyways incase this one decides to bite the dust anytime soon.

If they total it, I'll take the check and what I've got saved up and go get something better (hopefully 4WD).
Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 88, 89, 93 & 99

you will now have a salvage title
Is this the same in all states?? I bought a truck back years ago without a salvage title. I was told no frame/structural damage no salvage title... That was close to 20 years ago though.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

I was about to say what you did dude, people always think a car is totalled only if the airbag went off... totally untrue. I hit a deer this summer going 65 in my Cherokee. Damage wasn't absolutely horrible, but my Jeep was only listed on KBB at about 5k, so I was pretty close to getting it totaled. After I talked to the insurance adjuster and told him how much I love my Jeep ("It's my favorite thing in the whole world!" haha), he decided that if we got everything used from a junkyard and had it refinished it would save a lot of money - and it ended up working out! After the accident, you'd never know the parts were used, because they sanded them and painted them to match perfectly. The jeep looked better after than it did before!

BEFORE and AFTER pics:

Over 2200 in repairs and I still got out with just paying a $50 copay! I love Allstate.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mihogan
I was about to say what you did dude, people always think a car is totalled only if the airbag went off... totally untrue. I hit a deer this summer going 65 in my Cherokee. Damage wasn't absolutely horrible, but my Jeep was only listed on KBB at about 5k, so I was pretty close to getting it totaled. After I talked to the insurance adjuster and told him how much I love my Jeep ("It's my favorite thing in the whole world!" haha), he decided that if we got everything used from a junkyard and had it refinished it would save a lot of money - and it ended up working out! After the accident, you'd never know the parts were used, because they sanded them and painted them to match perfectly. The jeep looked better after than it did before!

BEFORE and AFTER pics:

Over 2200 in repairs and I still got out with just paying a $50 copay! I love Allstate.
You hit a deer going 65 and thats all it did? Just curious...
Old 12-12-2010, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

They shouldn't total it due to the damage. It looks like you did the same amount of damage as I did to mine when I hit my deer just a little bit ago. Hit mine at 45 mph and it had to be towed because it wrecked my radiator. Here are the pics' before and after.
Attached Thumbnails Will they total it?-jeep-hits-deer-10-24-10-003.jpg   Will they total it?-jeep-hits-deer-10-24-10-005.jpg  
Old 12-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 00jeepXJ
They shouldn't total it due to the damage. It looks like you did the same amount of damage as I did to mine when I hit my deer just a little bit ago. Hit mine at 45 mph and it had to be towed because it wrecked my radiator. Here are the pics' before and after.
Same happened to me, radiator was fried. Luckily, though, I was only a few miles from a country body shop (ironically, on the way home, haha) and that's where it died on me. 3 weeks later, back to drivin the good ol xj! Have any after pics 00Jeepxj?

Quick Reply: Will they total it?