XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Why XJ over ZJ?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: v8 5.2L
Cool Why XJ over ZJ?

I love my zj with a passion, every time i look at it it just looks so sexy and its decent off road (for a stock 96). I got nothing against an xj but why xj owners no like zj's? not as good off road or do xj owners just hate zj's cuz they wish they had one?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

I have a ZJ and an XJ.ZJ for on road cause it rides so nice and XJ for offroad cause it's bada$$.Have a Pattie also.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

i have a lifted zj and i like it!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

i like the boxy look of the xj but i like the v8 option and the rear coils of the zj.
xj for me because mine was FREE
Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

i like the zj. i had a 93 and it was very nice. i think when its time to move to another vehicle, i will get into a zj again
Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995

I have a zj and love it, have not had a single problem with it yet
Old 08-20-2010, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

Originally Posted by jeepdude16
I have a zj and love it, have not had a single problem with it yet
better start knocking on some wood lol
Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

the only problem i had with mine was a lady hit it at 65mph when i was stopped at a light, or i would still have it. it never gave me any issues and we drove it across country
Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by x91j
better start knocking on some wood lol
Just knocked on my desk for like 5 seconds, thanks for the suggestion on that haha
Old 08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Well a long time ago when I was looking into them xj's had way better customer reviews then the zj's. That and my budget leaned more toward an xj.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ZJs cost more to mod, the trannys are weaker than the AW-4. I had a ZJ and it did well, but I would not take it where I take my XJ, because I felt it was more fragile, and it wasn't built like my XJ is. I personally love the way ZJs look, and really have NEVER heard XJ guys bash on them too much, especially after wheeling with one!! ZJs, XJs, it really shouldn't matter, the both very similar, and they are JEEPS!!! It's like the elitist attitude some of the Wrangler guys have about their rides, I mean come on, it's still a Jeep!! I guess I just don't get it...
Old 08-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: L-6 4.0L MPI H.O.

I've had a few XJ's in my teen years then while I was overseas my wife was choosing our next vehicle and I told her it had to be a 4.0L jeep of any kind and I'd be okay with it. So she picked up a '95 ZJ. Compared to all the XJ's I owned (and the XJ I bought recently which is a '91 and older obviously) it was a piece of junk. The transmission was weak and started slipping, I flushed the transmission and added additive and it seemed to behave a little better. Also the ZJ was GUTLESS. You could literally floor the jeep and it would take you days to get above 60 mph. Also for being gutless and guzzled gas a bit worse than any XJ I've owned. Even though it gave me all these issues, it never left me broke down and it never failed to start in the morning. The current XJ I own which is much older runs 10x better than my ZJ and it cost me 4x less than the ZJ. The XJ is faster and more responsive too due to it being lighter. Also, my ZJ had front CV joints (ewww...). So does this answer the reason why I like XJ's more than ZJ's? I don't hate them I think they're still a real jeep and it performed pretty decently offroad but in my honest opinion the XJ is a better jeep for less money.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:09 PM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
ZJs cost more to mod, the trannys are weaker than the AW-4. I had a ZJ and it did well, but I would not take it where I take my XJ, because I felt it was more fragile, and it wasn't built like my XJ is. I personally love the way ZJs look, and really have NEVER heard XJ guys bash on them too much, especially after wheeling with one!! ZJs, XJs, it really shouldn't matter, the both very similar, and they are JEEPS!!! It's like the elitist attitude some of the Wrangler guys have about their rides, I mean come on, it's still a Jeep!! I guess I just don't get it...
This.

My brother has a ZJ, a '93 with the Command-Trac and 5.2L. I, personally, don't think I'd buy one. He lived with me a while and we were constantly tracking down electrical problems (you should see the rear light wiring he has now), including one electrical fire that started in the overhead console. The main issue I have with it is the plastic body trim parts and bumpers. Since we lived near the ocean, the trim ended up trapping salt air near the body panels, causing it to rust. He's also had a ton of transmission problems with it, which are finally addressed.

That said, even with a burned valve on #4 causing it to not fire all the time, it's a beast. It goes straight down the road, is comfortable to ride in (except for the lack of AC), and the only time he got it stuck was when he buried it up to the frame rails in the mud. He loves that Jeep, and now that I have an XJ, I know how he feels.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

zj are so inexpensive here. must be opposite of every where else. you can usually find a zj with working ac for less then 2k here. i couldn't find any xj for less then the 2k i paid when i bought mine about 2 hours from here
Old 08-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

Well I have an XJ and a YJ- and I personally have always wanted a ZJ for a family truckster. Some day I may pick one up if the price is right-

I have no first hand experience with a ZJ, other than I like the way they look and the V8 option.

~K

Search this Thread