why do you like (insert terrain here)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 11:21 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default why do you like (insert terrain here)?

i have been wondering for a while now why some of the users like mud and only mud. me personally, i hate mud because it sucks to clean and it eats up all the seals. i like rocks because its more technical (for me at least) and i like the aspect of planning out your line. i also like coming home and not having to worry about rig clean up.

so why do you like the terrain that you do?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I like rocks and wooded trails. To me it takes more skill to get through a rock garden than a big thing of mud. You've got to plan your lines, make sure you've got enough grip, if you don't want to tear up the body you gotta be careful, and, unlike, mud, rocks don't get into everything and destroy parts (unless you didn't plan that line right). Granted, mud is fun, but it's just not my thing. I'll take a short, not-that-challenging trail over mud any day. But what I really love is a trail that has it all - rocks, woods, hills, water, a little mud here and there - to challenge you in every area.

Last edited by no rdplz; 12-25-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

I like any terrain I have access to. As you know around here mainly mud. Mud can be a lot more technical then most think. Type plays a big role clay peat and sandy are all different with different tech problems. Peat is the most technical by far. The next thing is whats under neath. I have been in 2" driving along like nothing then out of no were 4' with no serfice indicators. The last thing I like about mud is rooster tails! There is just something about mud flying 20'+ in the air that is fun. On top of that if you can hit a bystander or another wheeler its funny as *hit.
However I love the rush of almost tipping over and crawl every chance I get. There are basic rules to build by for every one and I try to build for all. Don't have much experience on rock or hellish trails but am eager to learn. Looking forward to winterfest really hope I can make it and get some diverse terrain under my belt.
And another thing about mud picking a line is not as easy as most think. At a mud bog in Bristal this summer I picked the wrong one re registered and picked a different line and gained 10' didn't win the cage is to heavy but told another XJ to take it. He listined and won aggenst all those wronglers and trucks.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Im a mud, trail and snow kind of guy. Theres just something about the looks of mud caked on my jeep that makes me happy. Trails are fun. Snow is awsome, even if im not off road I can still have alot of fun fish-tailing around corners or do donuts in parking lots. You can also plow through snow banks and such when the plow trucks come out.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:10 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2/318 MSD Electronic Upgrades

For me, I like a tight, rocky, wooded, technical trails. I also like hill climbs and descents, off camber as I can be.

I will say that when I first started wheeling I was all into mud. I had a 78 Jeep Cherokee Chief. It had a built 360 and 40" Ground Hawgs on it. You wanna talk about a rooster tail! Hahahaa! Well over time and countless parts.... I just got out of the mud thing. (about two years out of the 15 years I've been into off road sports were dedicated to the soupy stuff)

I started to really get into rocky / wooded stuff thats more tight and technical. For me, it's what I built / am building my "rig" for. I just really like the idea of having control of my vehicle and pointing it in a direction and at 1mph or less making it go where I want it to. (or trying) Something about making it back to camp or home and looking back at pics and thinking how in the world did we even drive over those rocks, between those trees, make it up that hill. There have been a few spots where things have been so tense that by the time I made it back to camp I had such a headache from the trail that all I could do was try and nap before getting back out there.

I will admit that I will drive around mud no matter how deep (If I can treading lightly) because I just really don't like the stuff anymore. I do however like to go to the mud bogs and watching people blast and run through it. It was a good time!

Last edited by OverEasy; 12-25-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Personally I like trails with varied terrian types. I like to fly through puddles, wade through water, plow through mud, climb steep inclines and I like rocks, they're a challenge and they make you think, espically since I have open difs...Also like wooded areas as well, Theres something satisfying about going over stumps/logs without to much of a problem. Only thing I havent gotton to experience is desert....Would really like to try going to the Glamis Dunes some day.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:40 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by no rdplz
I like rocks and wooded trails. To me it takes more skill to get through a rock garden than a big thing of mud. You've got to plan your lines, make sure you've got enough grip, if you don't want to tear up the body you gotta be careful, and, unlike, mud, rocks don't get into everything and destroy parts (unless you didn't plan that line right). Granted, mud is fun, but it's just not my thing. I'll take a short, not-that-challenging trail over mud any day.
Definitely a trail guy too. Mud can be fun too.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like snow trails because I like it when Im the first to make tracks in the fresh snow. I also like mud because I like to see my jeep coverd in mud and I like the feeling of my tires spinning and my jeep sliding sideways. I dont like deep mud but I do like deep snow.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:53 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

Originally Posted by rideordie66
I like snow trails because I like it when Im the first to make tracks in the fresh snow. I also like mud because I like to see my jeep coverd in mud and I like the feeling of my tires spinning and my jeep sliding sideways. I dont like deep mud but I do like deep snow.
I like snow too!! I drive up to the mountains every winter in the hopes of getting to play in it! Best part about snow....it melts off and voila jeep is clean again.

On a more "any time of year" note; I like technical stuff. The challenge of getting up something that most look at and go "no way" is the best thing ever. Plus when you hit a rock the damage is obvious. Mud can take a while before the problem shows up and your left scratching your head or stranded (as with my alternator on more than one occasion). Technical gets my vote

Last edited by sgtskid; 12-25-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

trails are where xj can really shine. and i love the nature. besides, trails usually combine mud, rocks, climbs, drops and more.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:53 AM

Year: 2001

water I like crossin creeks and shallow rivers and stuff
Old 12-25-2010, 04:13 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

My stock xi likes whatever I put in front. Mud is fun but wooded trails are best. You actually have to drive vs just keep your foot on the gas pedal.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:34 PM

Year: 2001

I like dry creek beds, wooded trails,good challenging trails, and good people to wheel with. I don't like deep mud, just seems to tear your junk up.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I like both nice trail rides where I'm just out for the day off pavement try to avoid mud as it tends to f-up parts and makes working on it later a PITA. Though the last few times out I've really pushed my rig beyond my and its capabilities on rocks and I'm itching for more. I love low speed technical lines really working the ring and your self beyond anything you think it could do. guess that's what happens when you wheel with a bunch of rigs on long arms with lockers and your trying to follow them open open on short arms. a gas tank and rear axle later I should be ready to try again.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Trails, mud every once and a while... and snow. Never been a big fan of rocks.

Quick Reply: why do you like (insert terrain here)?