Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why do we change our own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Why do we change our own oil?

Why do we change our own oil? By the time I buy even the cheapest oil I can find and a new oil filter, I could have just gone to the local garage to have it done for cheaper. I change my own brakes..etc... and see the savings by buying quality parts and doing my own labor but I don't see the advantage of diy oil changes. Maybe Im missing something?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:27 PM

Their cheapest prices are for generic oils/filters and usually 5 quarts + filter. Theyll charge you more for any extras or brand specifics. Plus, were Men, we like to crap with the door open and fix ****.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Most big parts stores u can get a name brand oil and filter for 18.99. What does the oil change place charge?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by *Jonathan
Why do we change our own oil? By the time I buy even the cheapest oil I can find and a new oil filter, I could have just gone to the local garage to have it done for cheaper. I change my own brakes..etc... and see the savings by buying quality parts and doing my own labor but I don't see the advantage of diy oil changes. Maybe Im missing something?
For me its not about the cost, its about knowing It was done right. Not everyone is going to take care of your jeep like you will. I wouldnt trust some of the people that work at these oil change places to tighten one of my lug nuts.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Onetype
For me its not about the cost, its about knowing It was done right. Not everyone is going to take care of your jeep like you will. I wouldnt trust some of the people that work at these oil change places to tighten one of my lug nuts.
Jiffy lube dropped one of my fleet vehicles off the lift while rotating tires
Old 07-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

Not sure if this is the same for anyone else as it is for me but if i ever (rarely) have to take the jeep into a shop to have work done i literally stare through the little window at them the entire time and watch them like a hawk to make sure that they dont screw anything up. Its just easier for me to do it and know that the job was done right instead of having it done by someone else that is just trying to get the job done quick to get their money and move on to the next job. Plus i honestly get a little jealous when someone else is touching up on my baby
Old 07-02-2011, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L6

when i change mine its bout 25-30 dollars i use 15w40 delo oil and wix's filter i i change my own oil to everytime i dont trust other people working on my jeep
Old 07-02-2011, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L6

Originally Posted by capndoodles
Not sure if this is the same for anyone else as it is for me but if i ever (rarely) have to take the jeep into a shop to have work done i literally stare through the little window at them the entire time and watch them like a hawk to make sure that they dont screw anything up. Its just easier for me to do it and know that the job was done right instead of having it done by someone else that is just trying to get the job done quick to get their money and move on to the next job. Plus i honestly get a little jealous when someone else is touching up on my baby
im the same way word for word
Old 07-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990

i do myself because i know what im putting in it and if somethings wrong i know about it. i personaly dont trust other people with my jeep. i dont even let others drive it without being in the truck myself. my thing is why pay someone to do something i can do myself.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V6

Any time i had anyone do anything on my Jeep other than me, theyve messed something up. I always put Valvoline Max Life with a Mopar oil filter any way and they always put in the cheapest stuff theyve got. I trust myself to do it right because i care about my vehicle, they are getting you in then out as fast as they can so they can get someone else in and repeat
Old 07-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 High Output

I live in an apartment and there's no garage so, it's harder for me to do any work on the Jeep. I bring mine to Costco (worked there 10 years) There's 3-4 guys that I trust there and I know how they do it. They take their time and have someone else double check the filter, the drain plug and the level before it leaves the garage. They both have to sign the work order. It comes out to the same price and since I worked there, I can talk with them while they do the work. (more like watched them, lol) I only use synthetic and they have Castrol synthec. I'm almost due for one, so I might do it myself since it's warm now.

The only car that I do my oil change on is my Intrepid because it can't go on any lift (except scissor lift) because of my body kit. That will change though as I will remove it to be able to use it all year long. It's not my "toy" anymore, the Jeep is.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

Im like most people here i like to know i did it right, we bought my brother a camry recently and it was only taken to shops for its oil changes and that plug was on there WAAAY to tight.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

I buy oil when I'm at the store already, so no time lost there. By the time it takes me to drive to the dealer, I've already got my own oil changed. If they change it, I now have to wait on it and then drive home. Also, don't forget, they'll try to upsell me on a bunch of crap I don't need while I'm there.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll be changing my own oil for life. I feel sorry for people that don't change their own oil.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92

Originally Posted by DirtyKK
Their cheapest prices are for generic oils/filters and usually 5 quarts + filter. Theyll charge you more for any extras or brand specifics. Plus, were Men, we like to crap with the door open and fix ****.
Hell yeah gotta leave the door open for air
Old 07-02-2011, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

I let sears do my battery replacement (so I can have a good warranty)
And let my mechanic do my Drums... I just dont like doing them.
But oil changes? Dont be lazy.

Quick Reply: Why do we change our own oil?