XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Why all craigslist ads say this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Why all craigslist ads say this?

Looking for an XJ for my son and nearly every ad says:

"I dont need to sell it"

So why are you listing it if you dont really want to sell it??
Old 12-14-2014, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

basically means I wont sell it for anything less than asking price. "I'd rather keep it than let it go for less than xx$"

a couple years ago I was looking at a BEAUTIFUL black 99 4 door 5 speed for $2500 and seller was saying the same thing "just testing the waters, don't need to sell." the guy kept raising the price on me then eventually said "you know I got so many offers that it must be worth something. I think I'm just going to keep it for now

I blew up on the dude for jerking me around for 3 days and then deciding not to even sell it. there is definitely a certain art form to shopping on craigslist. I feel your pain man. you'll eventually be able to read ads and just know not to even bother contacting the guy.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by pbiancardi
"I dont need to sell it"
Translation: It's listed for twice what its actually worth.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

Originally Posted by Atmos
basically means I wont sell it for anything less than asking price. "I'd rather keep it than let it go for less than xx$" a couple years ago I was looking at a BEAUTIFUL black 99 4 door 5 speed for $2500 and seller was saying the same thing "just testing the waters, don't need to sell." the guy kept raising the price on me then eventually said "you know I got so many offers that it must be worth something. I think I'm just going to keep it for now I blew up on the dude for jerking me around for 3 days and then deciding not to even sell it. there is definitely a certain art form to shopping on craigslist. I feel your pain man. you'll eventually be able to read ads and just know not to even bother contacting the guy.
Half of it is show up with cash ready to buy. Making offers via email or phone is a waste of time. If they jerk you around and try to raise the price, flag their ad with Craigslist.

If you want to auction it list it on eBay. If your selling it put it on craigslist.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Ya basically means it will take an arm and a leg to buy.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:16 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Translation: It's listed for twice what its actually worth.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4805091039.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4804740160.html

Dont even want to call because I dont think they are worth listing and they "dont need to sell" so will not consider fair offers.

Last edited by pbiancardi; 12-14-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4805091039.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4804740160.html

Dont even want to call because I dont think they are worth listing and they "dont need to sell" so will not consider fair offers.

Both are listed for Way over what they are worth....................IMO.
You should definitely keep looking!

I'm sorry..........I just have to laugh at $9500 for a Cherokee!
There is no Cherokee in the world that is worth that much!
He basically wants someone to buy him a Bronco..............

Here's the thing..................Money spent on lift/tires/bumpers is never going to get recouped when you sell...............Period....
After all...........It had suspension/tires/bumpers on it before you even started...........
A good rule of thumb is to add up all the money you've spent on your lifted vehicle..................Then figure you might be able to recoup about 25% of it if you decide to sell your vehicle..............
In some cases, you may have downgraded the value of said vehicle depending on what was done to it.............

Last edited by Firehawk068; 12-14-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Half of craigslisters are idiots. The other half want way more than the things worth. I'll take the idiots, I suppose. Where do I fit in there?!?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6

It's a tactic to try to avoid lowballers.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

sounds like someone who didn't know what to list their jeep at, then suddenly there's interest, so he thinks he is listing it too cheap. or he thinks it's worth a lot more.

i'm glad we don't have craigslist here. if we do, no one uses it. up here we use kijiji, which is a great site. everything is there to sell, just have to deal with some lowballers, but for the most part, i've had great success in both buying and selling on it.

i've tried browsing craigslist before, i find it very difficult to wade through all the crap.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah i don't need to sell means my price is set in stone pay it or leave.But i have had one two i offered less for turned me down and a week or two called me up and took my offer.Some people believe their stuff is worth more then it is and later come around and see no one else will come close it.I hate the ones that want to trade only,And everything you list they will trade for is worth double or more then their car/truck.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Around here it means that they want to get for it what they have put into it. i.e. that rebuilt engine cost them$3k, so you should be willing to pay that ON TOP of the cost of the car. Ditto for lifts, armor, etc. I've seen some real P.O.S.'s listed for high money simply because they have a lot of upgrades the owner wants to get paid back for at retail price. Sorry, $1500 on a lift kit that's been trail driven for a couple years does not mean I should pay $1500 for it now.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 89XJDan
It's a tactic to try to avoid lowballers.
Agreed.

Seller, "I have X for $200."
Buyer, "Will you take $35 cash?"
Old 12-15-2014, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Looking for an XJ for my son and nearly every ad says:

"I dont need to sell it"

So why are you listing it if you dont really want to sell it??
What he's saying is he's not desperate and wont be giving it away to any lowballers.

Originally Posted by Firehawk068

Here's the thing..................Money spent on lift/tires/bumpers is never going to get recouped when you sell...............Period....
After all...........It had suspension/tires/bumpers on it before you even started...........
A good rule of thumb is to add up all the money you've spent on your lifted vehicle..................Then figure you might be able to recoup about 25% of it if you decide to sell your vehicle..............
In some cases, you may have downgraded the value of said vehicle depending on what was done to it.............

Bull****. Aftermarket items do raise the vehicles value, and if built with quality components and kept fresh it will pull a premium from an educated buyer.

Something built with the cheapest components available and run hard/put away wet are the vehicles to be avoided. Watch the classifieds.. these same young kids who build in this way match the asking on a rig built much better.

Theres an *** for every seat, i'm looking for the guy who appreciates a well built and maintained rig... who doesnt want to play stupid childish games with lowball offers.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by McCaffrey
Agreed.

Seller, "I have X for $200."
Buyer, "Will you take $35 cash?"
"I have cash" is a dead giveaway that they're about to lowball you. It drove me nuts to hear this when I was trying to sell my XJ. What else am I going to take for my Jeep? An IOU? Payment plan? No, I'm selling my Jeep for cash, so the fact that you have cash in hand does not make you stand out from the next guy.

Quick Reply: Why all craigslist ads say this?