Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Why is it ?

The more built/extreme a 4x4 is built up that it spends more time being wrenched on and modified than wheeled .
Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6

because as we tend to want mods we tend to push our mods til we find a weaker point... it's call a vicious cycle
Old 03-26-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by alloutperform
because as we tend to want mods we tend to push our mods til we find a weaker point... it's call a vicious cycle
Lol so true. Idk because we are usually big gear heads when we want a built up 4x4. And when we are out wheelin, we can always find something we can improve on. Even the cup holders.....

Sent using CherokeeFM
Old 03-27-2011, 05:25 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 renix 4.7 soon to drop back in

Originally Posted by Uhrinator
Lol so true. Idk because we are usually big gear heads when we want a built up 4x4. And when we are out wheelin, we can always find something we can improve on. Even the cup holders.....

Sent using CherokeeFM
Even the cup holders..... lol so true
Old 03-27-2011, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Year: '89
Engine: 242

Its because people build them to be OVERKILL.

For me its all about the PRR (Practical Rugged Reliability) and KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

I want something thats strong enough, to handle what I intend to use it for and a little more if needed.
Its durable enough, to where I dont need to worry about maintenance all the time, and it will last.
And when its time to replace or repair something, its simple enough, to work on myself, with very few expensive parts, so killing the wallet isnt necessary.

EDIT:
The more "extreme" something becomes, the more parts it will have, which will require more maintenance and/or more money.

Last edited by XJs-R-us; 03-27-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

for me its as much fun wrenching on my rig as it is wheeling it.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII
Question

Originally Posted by Irongrave
for me its as much fun wrenching on my rig as it is wheeling it.
+1. And +1 to the cycle. For me, I've always had to DD my project Jeep. This is the first build I can take my time on, and not have to worry about having it ready to go to work the next day, and can build the 4x4 I really want with all the goodies. But working a busy schedule the last year straight also leaves very little time to wrench, let alone wheel, so mine will sit in pieces for up to a month straight before I can get back on it.

I do miss wheeling whenever I wanted to like I did years ago with friends in high school and such. And I'm a firm believer that wheeling a stock or slightly modded rig is way more fun. The bigger the project, the bigger the budget, the bigger the planning, etc etc. Instead of just deciding to go wheeling on a weekend, I now have to plan my trips usually 2 months out, and secure a trailer etc. etc. Nature of the beast I guess.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

x2 on xjs-r-us.... The simpler it is the better for me. If I want to spend that much time working on something to only use for a single trip, then I will get back into street rods and spend two weeks prepping for one day.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Everyone knows the guy who sinks $10k or more into his rig and then becomes afraid of breaking anything, so he never wheels it...spends more time talking about the gear than what he does with it.

As a photographer, I get this all the time from people who ***** and complain about their gear or not having this piece of equipment or that softbox or whatever....yet they never take good pictures, or any pictures at all....
Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More Performance = More Maintenance. The Harder you drive it the more you have to fix it. DD only rigs never require as much maintenance as those that get wheeled. Technically fluids should ALL be changed and joints cleaned and lubed after each OffRoad trip. Rocks tend to break things, Mud and bearings don't play well together.