where do I get steel sheets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default where do I get steel sheets?

I want to make a front bumper for my XJ but have no clue where I can buy steel. Are there any big stores that sell steel sheets like menards etc.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

Google steel yards in your town.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Not Fab.

Moving to Chat.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Not Fab.

Moving to Chat.
I figured people in Fab would know the answer best hence me putting it in fab
Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by odgreen89on35s
Google steel yards in your town.
In Batavia Illinois?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Ok.

Check the stickies at the top of the Fab section, read the write ups (yes, plural as no one pays attention to the rules), and that should give you insite as to what belongs in fab.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Here:

Originally Posted by nukinfuts29
The Fabrication section is confusing and misunderstood. When we hear "fabrication" we think this is the perfect place to post questions about building things right? Perfectly logical assumption, but WRONG. This belongs in cherokee chat.

Fabrication is reserved for completed and under going projects, not for questions and general chat about fabrication.

This is NOT the location for questions about what you want to do, they belong in cherokee chat. This is NOT the location for trimming fenders, rattle canning your xj, lift questions, installing new carpet or anything small like this. This is for REAL fab work that you are currently doing or have done and how you did it. AKA, Exocages, Frame stiffeners, Bumpers, DIY beadlocks, etc. This is where the big boys play.

If you do have questions the best option is to search (top right of the website, down and to the left of your username) but we all know that can be an overwhelming tool. That in mind I have compiled a few of the most common things posted here that do not belong, and you may find them useful and informative

Need help welding? You can find threads about welders, welding, and other related topics here:

Welding Tips

Looking to build some home made stuff? Need ideas? This is the PERFECT thread for it. You will find lots of ideas, and it will also demonstrate the proper use for the Fabrication section!

Homebrew Jeep Mods

Time to build a bumper? Here are some users bumpers, ideas, and tricks!

Bumper Ideas

Using the search function:

The search tool is a powerful and confusing thing. This forum is so large that you may search for something and have a very hard time finding anything related to that. For example when making a search for bumper ideas, searching for "bumper ideas" it took me a good 15 minutes to find more than one useful thread. Why? Well simple, there is so much data here with those keywords.

What's the solution? Try getting clever with the keywords you are using. I tried searching by a specific bumper using "stinger" and i found much more useful information.

Another good trick is using google to search the forums. When you go to google and want to search for something, say bumper ideas, enter it as follows (without the " "):

"Bumper Ideas site:www.cherokeeforum.com"

When all else fails....

Feel free to make a post. You can follow the link below to submit you're question and get the answers you need!

Post a new question (Click Here)

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
PLEASE BUMP THIS THREAD WHEN YOU HAVE READ THIS

We are being KILLED in this section with so much work we cant keep up... every single day there are tons of threads posted in here that are not even fabrication related... We have tried everything and this sticky im going to link you to has been there since april right after we started this section... yet nobody seems to be reading it and nobody seems to know what fabrication is... The sticky will explain it to you in better detail what WE are looking for... PLEASE read it... this section is in jeopardy of going away if things dont start to go correct NOW...

PLEASE BUMP THIS THREAD WHEN YOU HAVE READ THIS

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/ul...ication-85599/

Definition from Wiki...

Fabrication as an industrial term refers to building metal structures by cutting, bending, and assembling. The cutting part of fabrication is via sawing, shearing, or chiseling (all with manual and powered variants); torching with handheld torches (such as oxy-fuel torches or plasma torches); and via CNC cutters (using a laser, torch, or water jet). The bending is via hammering (manual or powered) or via press brakes and similar tools. The assembling (joining of the pieces) is via welding, binding with adhesives, riveting, threaded fasteners, or even yet more bending in the form of a crimped seam. Structural steel and sheet metal are the usual starting materials for fabrication, along with the welding wire, flux, and fasteners that will join the cut pieces. As with other manufacturing processes, both human labor and automation are commonly used. The product resulting from (the process of) fabrication may be called a fabrication. Shops that specialize in this type of metal work are called fab shops. The end products of other common types of metalworking, such as machining, metal stamping, forging, and casting, may be similar in shape and function, but those processes are not classified as fabrication.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Here:
alright, my bad
Old 03-09-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989

here ya go, hope this helps

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4T...e&ved=0CB8QtgM
Old 03-09-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by DualPurposeXJ
thanks I think I found a place
Old 03-09-2012, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Lowe's sells it if you're in a pinch and need a piece here or there quickly, but they're incredibly overpriced compared to metal suppliers. I get free shipping over $100 if they deliver to my work (car dealer) and it's about 1/3 of what Lowe's costs.

It's not feasible for me to drive there unfortunately and I needed two 6' pieces of 1"x16ga angle iron and a 3 foot piece of 1"x16ga square tube real quick the other night and it cost me almost $40 at Lowe's. For $40 from the local steel supplier I could have gotten 20+ feet of both. Buying from Lowe's cost me $2.60 a foot, aluminum is expensive as hell to work with and it's only $2.50 a foot from local suppliers.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text but I know inevitably someone is going to tell you to go to Lowe's. Avoid it if at all possible.