What To Think

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default What To Think

Looking for another vehicle. After considerable research I have decided to buy a used Cherokee or Grand Cherokee. I have spent literally hours at various web sites reading about them. Much of my time has been spent on customer reviews from owners or former owners. I think this site generally deals with off road and modifications which puts a unique spin on this question as I would assume that most of you are mechanic capable to some extent and do you own mods and repairs. Most of the customer reviews are from the more average consumer that does not fall into the before mentioned category. And that would more likely be me as well.
But I am confused. I can easily divide the reviews into two categories. Owners either love them or hate them. There is no middle ground. It appears that the ones they own either have performed perfectly or have been total junk. Its almost like they are talking about two different vehicles.
The things that they complain about all seem to be pretty common too. Blower doors failing prematurely , rotors failing early, various sensors, cheap interior parts breaking, window motors, electrical problems. They are being called money pits and in general seem to be problematic for about half of the reviews. Half the people on the other hand say that the have had no unusual issues and they are the best vehicles that they have ever owned. Anybody care to comment? I need to know because I don't want to be another Toyota owner. I have had two 4 Runners and I am not going there again. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

What are you asking? Are you asking which one you should get? If you want great offroad ability and cheapier to maintain rig get the xj. If you want a luxurious family rig get the zj or wj.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 PM

Wow..

I have zero brand preference anymore.. bottom line everyone made junk at one point or time.... I'm a huge Yota fan... and I'm surprised you migrated to the jeep side..

I wheel jeeps (grands & XJs) cause they are simple and for the most part easy to work on... and create a shelter to sleep in based upon the conditions i enjoy wheeling in....

Not sure what your bottom line question was, but if u are not an off-road enthusiast and would like a nice 4x4 daily driver then get a Grand... they are great and you can build them up with basic parts to be outstanding rigs... but if you would prefer a rig that's a bit simpler that you don't have to take to the dealer every time u have a problem... then get a XJ.

Either way u can't go wrong if you "take care" of them.... nothing is bulletproof
Old 12-02-2013, 02:03 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

What were your issues with the 4Runners?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

With the XJ you're talking about a vehicle that hasn't been manufactured since 2001. With that level of aging you're going to have some issues to deal with. Stuff breaks! You also have to keep in mind how internet forums tend to work. They're going to be filled with "fan boys" and with people having problems that are seeking help. The "middle ground" people are happily driving their Cherokees without commentary on the internet.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Default What To think

I was pointing out that some folks love their Jeeps and have little problems with them, based on what they write , and some state they have lots of similar problems, and they would not buy another. This forum attracts all kinds of people. Hard core 4x4, weekend warriors, daily drivers and restoration types. Wondering what your experiences are since most of the reviews on Edmunds and others are from just daily commuter people.

My issues with Yotas are based on owning 2 v6, 95 4 Runners. Overheating, blown heads gaskets (2) , spark plugs blowing out of the block randomly, stripped spark plug threads, and rust, rust, rust, rust. Expensive replacement parts, timing belt replacements. Nice running but expensive to keep. My driving is normal commute and off road, on the beach driving.

I will never buy another vehicle with a aluminum block and a timing belt.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by blueseasons
Looking for another vehicle. After considerable research I have decided to buy a used Cherokee or Grand Cherokee. I have spent literally hours at various web sites reading about them. Much of my time has been spent on customer reviews from owners or former owners. I think this site generally deals with off road and modifications which puts a unique spin on this question as I would assume that most of you are mechanic capable to some extent and do you own mods and repairs. Most of the customer reviews are from the more average consumer that does not fall into the before mentioned category. And that would more likely be me as well.
But I am confused. I can easily divide the reviews into two categories. Owners either love them or hate them. There is no middle ground. It appears that the ones they own either have performed perfectly or have been total junk. Its almost like they are talking about two different vehicles.
The things that they complain about all seem to be pretty common too. Blower doors failing prematurely , rotors failing early, various sensors, cheap interior parts breaking, window motors, electrical problems. They are being called money pits and in general seem to be problematic for about half of the reviews. Half the people on the other hand say that the have had no unusual issues and they are the best vehicles that they have ever owned. Anybody care to comment? I need to know because I don't want to be another Toyota owner. I have had two 4 Runners and I am not going there again. Thanks.
Most of those negative reviews are people who have never touched a wrench in their life and get mad at how much it is to get things fixed at a dealer. The newest Xj is 12 year old. Things are going to break and wear out. The electrical parts like window motors wear out. Speaker wire issues is a great example. That's what happens when something rubs together for over 10 years.
Xjs last a lot longer than a majority of vehicles out there.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:07 PM

Default I am not talking about older Jeeps with failing parts

All vehicles and vehicle parts fail eventually. I am talking when the vehicles were newer or new. Pick a year. Pick a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee on Edmunds and see what the owners said when the vehicles are new. Based on what I read there, an older one is a better bet since all the "usual" stuff has already failed once and has been replaced.