Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What are some commonly used tools to invest in with a Cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB
Question What are some commonly used tools to invest in with a Cherokee?

Just wondering what tools you guys commonly find yourselves using when working on your Jeeps. The other day I ran across a sweet used tool store and I walked away with barely used Craftsman Toolset 1/4 thru 1/2 drive with everything: 6 and 12 point, deep and shallow sockets, torx bits, allen keys and a full set of box wrenches for 100 bucks (no more using my dads half complete socket set.). And I also found a Snap-On balljoint press that had never even been used for another 50 bucks.

There were tons of deals on stuff like this and since im going to school next year for auto mechanics I don't mind dropping some money on quality stuff even if I will only use it once or twice before then. I already have the basics, Sockets and wrenches, air wrench w/ chro/van sockets, dial calipers, a dial indicator and some pliers and a few other simple things but that's about it. I was thinking along the lines of some pullers, a good electric drill (mine looks like its from 1936 and has no power) and some bits for metal drilling and maybe a good 220 TIG welder. Basically I want to be able to do anything to my Cherokee.

Just wondering what people find themselves using most often or wanting most while working on their Jeep's so I can get some ideas on stuff to buy. Im lifting my XJ some more, regearing it, doing some minor electrical work (big power inverter, offroad lights, twin battery setup) and possibly doing a tranny swap to a manual this summer so im probably going to need some more stuff than what i've got.

Last edited by Iant333; 01-26-2010 at 06:30 PM.