Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What is the first thing I should do to my Jeep?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My insurance company is giving me 2300$ to repair the damages on my Jeep Cherokee XJ SE edition 2WD. the cooling lines and maybe the radiator needs to be replaced. Those are the only vitals damaged everything else may be cosmetic. I plan on keeping this vehicle for the rest of my life everything is completely stock and I haven't made any modifications yet what should I invest my money in? Lift kit? New tires? New lights? New bumper? Body armor? Skid plates? I have 2500 to play with what can i do to prolong the life of my vehicle? That's the ultimate goal. it is 2 wheel drive so I don't see the point of lifting it because I won't ever be going out on extreme trails maybe some camping once in awhile but nothing it can't handle its a city jeep. what is the smartest investment? Tune-up kit? Turbo kit? A new computer chip? I don't know where to start.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:17 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

All fluids, wheel bearings, brake pads & rotors, u joints, plugs / wires / cap / rotor, motor & trans mounts. Replacement headlights were probably the best "upgrade" I did, even though the old ones were so bad it was more like maintenance.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:10 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Hid headlights. A transfer case and a new front diff. Just kidding
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A computer chip is a waste of money.A full tune up then header and free flowing exhaust will give you more power.Maybe get a cold air intake for it,Whats left maybe different rims or plastidip the jeep a wild color if you want.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Buy a 4wd XJ and use yours for parts when needed
Old 10-16-2014, 12:01 PM

so far K GM's and Andrews answers where the best. again this is a city Jeep it will not be seeing any extreme trails or rock crawling so i dont have a need for 4x4. it would be nice to have but the most I would ever do is a light camping trail. I Drive over small hills and mounds just fine. Since I have a 2 wheel drive I think it would be wise to invest in a winch? Took the Jeep to the mechanic today and he's just going to replace the radiator and coolant lines that means I have about 1900$ left to invest in some cool things for my Jeep what else should I invest in? Cold air intake is definitely on my list. New headlights are too. and the new exhaust would be nice. Any other ideas?

Last edited by cherokeeowner123; 10-16-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:45 AM

I took it to the mechanic and it was $600 for the the repairs leaves me a total of 1600$ new radiator and coolent lines, full tune up new brakes and everything. Good as new just a dent in the bumper. should I invest in a budget lift kit? I want to keep it under 350$ at the most but I also want it to be reliable. I'm keeping this vehicle for the rest of my life so am I just better off without a lift kit and leaving it stock? It is a 2 wheel drive. but I like the look, and won't be really rock crawling or anything. Or instead should I invest in the new bumper? That way I can have armor for my Jeep to prolong its life? I'm going to get new headlights for sure. But I was also thinking a light bar on the roof would be sweet. So much information I want to know I'd like to hear the opinions from the true off roaders & mechanics on here.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by cherokeeowner123
I took it to the mechanic and it was $600 for the the repairs leaves me a total of 1600$ new radiator and coolent lines, full tune up new brakes and everything. Good as new just a dent in the bumper. should I invest in a budget lift kit? I want to keep it under 350$ at the most but I also want it to be reliable. I'm keeping this vehicle for the rest of my life so am I just better off without a lift kit and leaving it stock? It is a 2 wheel drive. but I like the look, and won't be really rock crawling or anything. Or instead should I invest in the new bumper? That way I can have armor for my Jeep to prolong its life? I'm going to get new headlights for sure. But I was also thinking a light bar on the roof would be sweet. So much information I want to know I'd like to hear the opinions from the true off roaders & mechanics on here.
I honestly don't think you should regard this as an investment. If you're just going to use it as a DD in town - service it and keep it healthy. There's no point adding armour and winches to a 2WD. I'd keep the money in the bank (or an actual investment) until the Jeep needs fixing. It'll let you know when it's time

There are precious few times when money will just fall into your lap, I'd advise you to see what would make the most difference to your life rather than just to your Jeep.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i agree with morat

maybe take it in to a detailer and get it all cleaned up.

you don't want a cheap lift, they ride like crap. and you don't want to put a winch on a stock jeep, it looks silly, same with light bars.

just get a good set of driving lights installed in the stock location under the bumper and a good detail job, you will be impressed.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the Salvage yard and get a good front bumper.
Make sure all fluids are fresh and brakes, brake lines, hoses, belts and tires are in good order. That should be all you need to do.
Certainly don't dump a bunch of money into offroad parts/accessories on a 2wd Jeep.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

What about the sound system for the jeep?A good head unit replace all the factory speakers with better ones and add a single sub and amp.