XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What do you think this is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What do you think this is worth?

I came across this listing on Craiglist and am in talks with the owner. Please let me know what you all think a fair price is for this.
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/6226526683.html
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2017, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Personally, to me that's about 3500 for me....nothing fancy at all about it. His list is mostly comprised of maintainence parts which don't add value ...cheap lift and other cheaper parts.....0331 head...........i just talked myself into making it a $2500 jeep for me haha

but seriously you need to really go over it. There looks to be more rust then he's letting on and that is a big no no.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

$3500-4000. Looks like it has lower mileage but like martlor mentioned, his list is just mostly made up of maintenance parts which he's clearly trying to get money back for...
Old 07-19-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

You can't buy a 250k lifted rust bucket of a Jeep around here for less than 25-3000 . I'd say it's worth what you're willing to pay .. they're getting expensive to buy and hard to find with low mileage . I'd say it's 4-5 with 5 being as clean as it seems and rust being light surface rust under door where mud likes to sit . But hell idk it's all a matter of opinion
Old 07-20-2017, 12:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

To me its worth scrap metal its 01,You want to skip the 00-01 years they had a cylinder head thats known for cracking and its a low pinion dana 30 so lifting it can cause some problems once you get so high,And it has that funny 3 cat exhaust on it also,Go 91 to 99 and as virgin as you can afford to buy.Reason i say that is you can build it like you want vs pre done and probably end up replacing wore out parts or fixing hack jobs some try to do and call it a mod.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I actually laughed when I saw the price. Those Instagram pictures are cute but don't really show the important parts. In the few pics of underneath you can see small amounts of rust starting to creep it. It's from the north so you know its seen salty winters and the rust is worse than this kid is going to tell. Depending on what you want to do with it you would end up replacing most of the aftermarket parts on it like that cheap lift.

I'll give it $3,000, only cause the tires look like they have some life left.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

As has been said, this is a northern vehicle that probably needs more attention given to the effects of corrosion than the owner either knows or would admit. Rust hides. Then there's the potential head issue. I wouldn't pay more than $2500.00 tops. Fortunately for him, there's plenty of suckers.

And let's dispel the notion that maintenance parts do not add value. This is just a lie that's been repeated often enough that many believe it. If this is true, pm me when selling your home so I can discount that new roof, water heater, repaved driveway, etc. and buy it dirt cheap.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER
As has been said, this is a northern vehicle that probably needs more attention given to the effects of corrosion than the owner either knows or would admit. Rust hides. Then there's the potential head issue. I wouldn't pay more than $2500.00 tops. Fortunately for him, there's plenty of suckers.

And let's dispel the notion that maintenance parts do not add value. This is just a lie that's been repeated often enough that many believe it. If this is true, pm me when selling your home so I can discount that new roof, water heater, repaved driveway, etc. and buy it dirt cheap.
I agree with that!
Besides it looks like a whole bunch of extra goodies have been added.

The 00-01 head is an issue i'd think about carefully.
If not cracked already, has good oil psi and the engine is in otherwise good condition, a 3rd party replacement head would be in the future.
Good PM insurance. Not that expensive if its a DIY head replacement.
Use the head issue as a bargaining tool.

Rust or lack of it would also be a main concern.

If all checks out ok, i'd make a low ball offer of $4k and see what happens.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah because a house and a car are the same thing. Maintenance items do not add value to a vehicle plain and simple...so your jeep needed a radiator, brakes, and spark plugs to keep going. So what? You add a premium? no. Maintenance on a vehicle maintains that vehicles value at what it is at in good running condition instead of having to give it away because it was neglected.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by moparado
I agree with that!
Besides it looks like a whole bunch of extra goodies have been added.

The 00-01 head is an issue i'd think about carefully.
If not cracked already, has good oil psi and the engine is in otherwise good condition, a 3rd party replacement head would be in the future.
Good PM insurance. Not that expensive if its a DIY head replacement.
Use the head issue as a bargaining tool.

Rust or lack of it would also be a main concern.

If all checks out ok, i'd make a low ball offer of $4k and see what happens.
that's low ball? Nah man that's highend. haha

sigh to opinions
Old 07-20-2017, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Yeah because a house and a car are the same thing. Maintenance items do not add value to a vehicle plain and simple...so your jeep needed a radiator, brakes, and spark plugs to keep going. So what? You add a premium? no. Maintenance on a vehicle maintains that vehicles value at what it is at in good running condition instead of having to give it away because it was neglected.
You can choose to believe whatever you'd like but human action and observable phenomena in our everyday lives belies the truth of it. Even a dealer will give an owner a higher trade-in value for someone who can produce maintenance records. This alone should be enough to convince people of it's truthfulness. And I'm willing to bet that if I followed you around for a day I could find an inconsistency or two in you. Just saying. Wasn't trying to personalize the topic, just pointing out its falsehood.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

You can choose to believe whatever you'd like but human action and observable phenomena in our everyday lives belies the truth of it. Even a dealer will give an owner a higher trade-in value for someone who can produce maintenance records. This alone should be enough to convince people of it's truthfulness. And I'm willing to bet that if I followed you around for a day I could find an inconsistency or two in you. Just saying. Wasn't trying to personalize the topic, just pointing out its falsehood.
it doesn't add value though... let's just look at a hypothetical. This jeep has a book value of 4000 in GOOD condition. However currently it needs thus that and the other and it is in fair condition worth 3000... now the owner fixes it and the value is good condition worth 4000. It technically added value, but now the owner is asking 6300 to recoup money for parts and labor. Not how it works. And yeah a dealer will give an owner high end book value for a trade in if maintained with records... but again that's what maintainence does... it maintains a vehicles book value for dealers. It doesn't add on top. Just like adding a lift doesn't make a jeep worth 1000 extra just because that's what it cost.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

it doesn't add value though... let's just look at a hypothetical. This jeep has a book value of 4000 in GOOD condition. However currently it needs thus that and the other and it is in fair condition worth 3000... now the owner fixes it and the value is good condition worth 4000. It technically added value, but now the owner is asking 6300 to recoup money for parts and labor. Not how it works. And yeah a dealer will give an owner high end book value for a trade in if maintained with records... but again that's what maintainence does... it maintains a vehicles book value for dealers. It doesn't add on top. Just like adding a lift doesn't make a jeep worth 1000 extra just because that's what it cost.
Thank you for admitting that it does add value. The fact that a person may try and get more over and above a subjective market value doesn't negate this. He/she may be delusional but, that is a different subject. Lol!
Old 07-20-2017, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Thank you for admitting that it does add value. The fact that a person may try and get more over and above a subjective market value doesn't negate this. He/she may be delusional but, that is a different subject. Lol!
haha turns out we just weren't on the same page haha!! I thought you meant that it added extra. Like being at its highest book value plus extra. And I know some on here don't like kbb or others, but dealership and private parties use it. I know my friend at jeep say they use kbb and their own service as well. I buy and sell used cars as a hobby to fix things and make some money and every negotiation involves kbb from people buying from me.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

haha turns out we just weren't on the same page haha!! I thought you meant that it added extra. Like being at its highest book value plus extra. And I know some on here don't like kbb or others, but dealership and private parties use it. I know my friend at jeep say they use kbb and their own service as well. I buy and sell used cars as a hobby to fix things and make some money and every negotiation involves kbb from people buying from me.
KBB and others are just reflections of how much consumers and savers value their dollars over the good being purchased. The data could literally change overnight. IMHO, so long as they are seen from this perspective they are accurate and useful.

Put another way, dollars are not valued as highly as XJ's at this time, otherwise consumers would not be willing to pay the prices for them that they currently are paying.