Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What axles should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What axles should I use?

Hey all, kind of a noob to Jeepin here. I bought a 96 XJ with 4.0 and NP231. Purpose of rig is to be a SHTF offroad and hunting rig. As I want to add some strength to the whole rig, I know I need to beef up the drivetrain. I was initially thinking DANA 60's with planetary hubs but was reading due to the size of the pumpkin, I would need at least 37's. That's quite a bit larger tire than I had planned... For my lift I was gonna use RC's 4.5" long arm kit with SYE kit, leaf springs, extended rear shaft for a total of about $2k. Later I'll add HD tie rod and dropped pitman arm. I figured 4.5" lift was good for 33" tires... So what kind of axle swap should I do for added strength?
Old 11-12-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

High pinion Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25 29 spline, should be fine. You may have these axles stock under your Jeep already. Definitely the front you should already have. Unless this a high budget build then I'd go built ford 9" and high pinion 44.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

I guess you really need to ask, What do you do if you break something?
Will there always be someone there/another jeep to help? Self recovery if you get stuck? Will you be daily driving it?

For 33s, your stock axles will be fine with upgrades.
Get bilstein shocks if an option.
Unibody reinforcements.
Front chrome moly axle shafts, aftermarket cover and a locker and regear.
Rear chrome moly axle shafts, aftermarket cover and a locker and regear.
Front and rear recovery points, F+R hitches and receiver D rings works well.
Winch and bubba rope.

Or do nothing and hope you don't get stuck or break anything. Lift, tires and wheels and careful/smart wheeling.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

33s and 35s are all you really need for a xj unless your trying to build some pro rock crawler out of it.And like said the stock front dana 30 is fine,And if you have the chrysler 8.25 your good on that also.If you have the dana 35 in the rear then i would swap it for the chrysler 8.25.Keep in mind you need to re gear the axles to match the tire size you run.And while your at that its best time to add lockers.And i would look around more at lifts rough country isnt the best option.rubicon express is the best budget brand to me.Or take a look at http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...arm-Suspension
Old 11-14-2016, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
I guess you really need to ask, What do you do if you break something?
Will there always be someone there/another jeep to help? Self recovery if you get stuck? Will you be daily driving it?

For 33s, your stock axles will be fine with upgrades.
Get bilstein shocks if an option.
Unibody reinforcements.
Front chrome moly axle shafts, aftermarket cover and a locker and regear.
Rear chrome moly axle shafts, aftermarket cover and a locker and regear.
Front and rear recovery points, F+R hitches and receiver D rings works well.
Winch and bubba rope.

Or do nothing and hope you don't get stuck or break anything. Lift, tires and wheels and careful/smart wheeling.

Marty is sure on the right path with his list. I might add that a 96 XJ may have a 27 spline axle and now would be the time to upgrade to 29 spline ones, they are good for up to 35" tires.

A few others would be these

Skid plates transfer case, fuel tank, LCA skids along with rocker panel skids these are a min.
For a 33-35" tire a 4:56 gear would be best and full case lockers rear auto front selectable.
A Hi Lift Jack is a must have item for lifted or off road usage.
My choice is aftermarket bumpers front and rear with full use of attaching hardware. Built-in receivers and D-Ring points for recovery.
Upgraded steering at the least a ZJ upgrade, I'm still running one with 33 and 35" tires.
Most important a first aid kit the best one you can afford/able to use.

I'm sure I forgot many things but others will come on later to help