Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L
Default Weekend wrenching, hosing and mopping

Some days you're the dog and some days you're the tree... knowwhutimean?

My XJ's demons are multiplying. An hour ago, my cooling system went south (no pun intended) while en-route to the auto parts store for motor/trans mounts which was the original plan for one day this weekend.

The radiator blew out at the core/tank junction. Now I suspect it may have been caused by failure of the cap's 16lb pressure-relief function. The heater core was already temporarily by-passed about ten days ago with a plan to do heater & A/C evap cores in October. I need my Jeep for our CC seashore vacation in exactly seven days. Too much to do while working days too. Bye-bye paycheck.

I guess it'll be a full weekend in the garage. Wifey is NOT going to be very happy (or helpful) when I break this news.

Right now I need a cold beer - and that serenity prayer - while I survey the scenario.

Should I be concerned about the water pump, t-stat, cylinder head and/or gasket at this stage of the game (all original on 178K miles)?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

This weekend I'll be pressure-washing my underside and cleaning the engine of all the trailing muck. Yupiknowwhutyoumean.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Year: 1992 Laredo and 1996 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Lets see. Drain water from cooling system (flushed it last weekend and ran out of time/light), reinstall thermostat, try new relay for electric fan, add coolant. remove heater core valve with new hose, check the brakes... I'm gonna run out of time again.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

I was right about one part of the situation - the wifey part.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 PM

Year: 1992 Laredo and 1996 Sport
Engine: 4.0

My wife and I split up almost a month ago. It sucks.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Cherryokee
Some days you're the dog and some days you're the tree... knowwhutimean?

My XJ's demons are multiplying. An hour ago, my cooling system went south (no pun intended) while en-route to the auto parts store for motor/trans mounts which was the original plan for one day this weekend.

The radiator blew out at the core/tank junction. Now I suspect it may have been caused by failure of the cap's 16lb pressure-relief function. The heater core was already temporarily by-passed about ten days ago with a plan to do heater & A/C evap cores in October. I need my Jeep for our CC seashore vacation in exactly seven days. Too much to do while working days too. Bye-bye paycheck.

I guess it'll be a full weekend in the garage. Wifey is NOT going to be very happy (or helpful) when I break this news.

Right now I need a cold beer - and that serenity prayer - while I survey the scenario.

Should I be concerned about the water pump, t-stat, cylinder head and/or gasket at this stage of the game (all original on 178K miles)?
That's still only a days worth of work and maybe a 12 pack. If you think the rad failed due to built up pressure you're going to want to replace the hoses, thermostat, and probably the water pump. And obviously the radiator and cap...