Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vacuum bypass, now stuck in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Vacuum bypass, now stuck in 4x4

I've done a lot of research on bypassing the vacuum hookup, and did everything by the book. I was told that the t-case would still control whether or not I would be in 4x4. Considering all I would technically be doing is converting my multishaft axle into a one piece like the 91+ but apparently that's not the case. I read that you can drive with it constantly in 4x4hi but I'll eat through tires, lose cornering, wear and tear on the front end. Lots of problems. Im probably just going to yank an axle from a newer xj. But will I still go through what I'm experiencing now?? Can I put locking hubs on the my axle and call it good?

Last edited by Snyder91; 03-14-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Snyder91
I read that you can drive with it constantly in 4x4hi
Part time means, part time.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:29 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

There is a problem somewhere, you should not be stuck in 4wd. Luke you said. The t case controls that. Putting a new front end in will not fix the problem, the problem lies in the t case/linkage. Get under it and manually shift through the t case.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

+1

Why bypass the front axle disconnect? I just revamped the system on my wife's '96 Blazer. As long as you have no mechanical problems inside the axle/disconnect itself they're fairly easy to work on.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by EZEARL
+1

Why bypass the front axle disconnect? I just revamped the system on my wife's '96 Blazer. As long as you have no mechanical problems inside the axle/disconnect itself they're fairly easy to work on.
Because the 2 piece shaft is muc h weaker than a solid shaft. And the vacuum shaft uses smaller, weaker u joints.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Makes sense. The wife's Blazer is a DD. Nice but NOT a trail rig at all. Don't know about the Cherokee set up but the Blazer front axle disconnect is a fragile system. It doesn't take much of a vacuum loss to have the axle disconnect on it's own.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:59 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

+1

On the same coin, why not bypass the disconnect? Yes, its very easy to work on, but the replacement options arent cheap, and the vacuum disconnect on an XJ is like a human appendix. I just did mine, and it is an interesting feeling knowing that when you pull the 4x4 lever, 4wd is actually engaged. Like said before, the one piece shaft is stronger, but IMHO the 91-96piece conversion should be a pretty low priority unless you really romp on things or have giant tires. Then you'll want chromos anyways.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:23 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Snyder91
I've done a lot of research on bypassing the vacuum hookup, and did everything by the book. I was told that the t-case would still control whether or not I would be in 4x4. Considering all I would technically be doing is converting my multishaft axle into a one piece like the 91+ but apparently that's not the case. I read that you can drive with it constantly in 4x4hi but I'll eat through tires, lose cornering, wear and tear on the front end. Lots of problems. Im probably just going to yank an axle from a newer xj. But will I still go through what I'm experiencing now?? Can I put locking hubs on the my axle and call it good?
Why do you think it's in 4wd? Cuz the lights on?

Or, is it binding up on turns? If it is, adjust your transfer case linkage first. THAT'S what engages 4wd.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Part time means, part time.
What do you mean by that? It's not part time it's full time. It's an 88 cherokee. They don't have part time 4x4 like the 91+
Old 03-16-2014, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by ohio95xj
There is a problem somewhere, you should not be stuck in 4wd. Luke you said. The t case controls that. Putting a new front end in will not fix the problem, the problem lies in the t case/linkage. Get under it and manually shift through the t case.
Not to be dumb but how do I manually shift through the t-case? With the shifter in my jeep? The lever is in 2x4, I tried putting it in 4 then back at two but she still hops when I drive in a circle
Old 03-16-2014, 04:37 AM

+1

I did it because I 4x4 all of the time and I read their nothing but problems when your out because people brake the vacuum lines. They're pretty easy to work on but there is atleast 10ft of line and there is the lines. I don't nessisarly want to drive around with extra vacuum line in my jeep, especially when I need 4x4
Old 03-16-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by EvstaG
On the same coin, why not bypass the disconnect? Yes, its very easy to work on, but the replacement options arent cheap, and the vacuum disconnect on an XJ is like a human appendix. I just did mine, and it is an interesting feeling knowing that when you pull the 4x4 lever, 4wd is actually engaged. Like said before, the one piece shaft is stronger, but IMHO the 91-96piece conversion should be a pretty low priority unless you really romp on things or have giant tires. Then you'll want chromos anyways.
Do I should just get the 91+ axle? I have a feeling that even when I get it it's going to stay in 4x4 considering I made it a "2 piece" axle shaft
Old 03-16-2014, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Why do you think it's in 4wd? Cuz the lights on?

Or, is it binding up on turns? If it is, adjust your transfer case linkage first. THAT'S what engages 4wd.

No the 4x4 light isn't on. It turns on from the vacuum. I bypassed it. It hops when I turn. How do I adjust the transfer case linkage?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:44 AM

I just watched the video. Thank you for all of the comments I'm going to dig into it in the morning. I took the vacuum canister off of the axle, and slid that beaver tail lookin thing over, slid the sleeve over to lock the two axle shafts in place and bolted the canister back on.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:44 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The axle does NOT engage 4wd. The transfer case does. If you're getting hopping in the front end, your axle u-joints could be bad.

And 88s had part-time and full-time transfer cases available. Full-time had both positions in the transfer case and a non-disconnect front axle.

Quick Reply: Vacuum bypass, now stuck in 4x4