Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Using wiper fluid in snow?

Okay so i am a warm blooded floridian and know NOTHING about driving in ice and snow. I am about to go on a trip to north carolina and virgina and i need to know if you use wiper fluid in snow to get the snow off? Or does that just make it worse? The reason i ask is because i have a +97 wiper bottle on my xj and i just cut the front fenders and now the bottle is showing. Do i need wiper fluid up north or can i get rid of the bottle until i can go to a jy and get a pre 97 bottle?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2007
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK)
Engine: 3.7l V6

I use mine, filled with a fluid which helps melt the ice on the windshield. If you are worried about snow/ice, you should maybe just make sure your defrost is warmed up enough to melt what ever is there. The main reason I use the fluid (besides the above reason) here in colorado is because of the slush on the road. It gets on your windshield and just using your wipers doesn't help it just smears the dirt/snow/water mixture around. I would recommend keeping it, but it all comes down to what you can handle.

i once ran out of fluid here and had to keep pulling over to dump water on the windshield until I got to a gas station... it isn't all that fun.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

You'll need it, for sure.

The salt and slush on the road will dry on your windshield and make it impossible to see. Snow won't stick to your windshield if you're moving, and it'll most likely melt as long as the inside of the Jeep isn't as cold as the outside of it.

They have "anti-freezing windshield washer solvent", I would get that. Drain your current fluid, refill with the anti-freezing kind, then run your sprayers for a bit so it clears out the lines of the other stuff, otherwise it'll freeze in the lines. You don't want that.

Last edited by 77olds; 12-15-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: i6

x2 very unsafe to drive with out it in snowy/salty regions, once your blind its hard to even pull off the road...
Old 12-15-2011, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995

Its 55 F here in the mountains of NC, No chance of snow till probably after christmas. And yes washer are for removing road spray/salt from the windshield.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Currently 58 here in V.A. were im at. And don't see any snow in the near future maybe sometime after Christmas starting into the New Year, But as of now NO SNOW.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks everyone. I think im going to keep the bottle for now. Seams like i might need it.

And i REALLY hope that it snows. Were leaving the day after christmas and are planning on being up there for 10 days. Anyone live an asheville with a weather report? Thats one of the places were gona be camping.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

I live in Asheville, Its warm during the day and drops down to the 30's at night. A few mountain tops have gotten snow when it got really cold a week or 2 ago but melts pretty quickly once the sun rises.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Drewjharper1900
Thanks everyone. I think im going to keep the bottle for now. Seams like i might need it.

And i REALLY hope that it snows. Were leaving the day after christmas and are planning on being up there for 10 days. Anyone live an asheville with a weather report? Thats one of the places were gona be camping.
Since you've never driven in snow before, I just want to share some advice with you, being that I've lived in Michigan my entire life.

1. 4 wheel drive doesn't help you stop any faster. The ONLY advantages 4wd gives you in slippery conditions is the ability to accelerate faster, and less chance of getting stuck. If you start sliding while driving down the road, having 4wd will not save you. You still need to drive at a lower speed and keep your distance from other traffic.

2. Don't touch the throttle while in turns. Coast around them. If you're on the throttle and hit an ice patch, your rear tires are almost guaranteed to slip.

3. Don't ride the brakes around turns. If you're going around a turn and you're on the brakes, your tires could lock up and send you straight instead of turning - and you could hit someone head on.

4. ABS does NOT shorten stopping distances, contrary to what people believe. ABS keeps your wheels from skidding, but it in no way makes you stop in less distance.

5. If it's not sunny, use your head lights. It doesn't have to be dark. You want to be as visible as possible in these conditions.

6. If you're gonna hit a curb, think about what's beyond that curb. Is it an empty field? Well, if that's the case, your best bet is to steer so that you drive OVER the curb, rather than hit the side of your tire up against it - which will surely damage something. But if there's people up there, or a building, or something you don't want to hit, well, you're much better off damaging your Jeep than you are damaging property... so turn away from the curb and let the side of your tire hit it.

7. Steer into the skid. If you find yourself sliding sideways, say, your rear end kicks out to the right, then less off the throttle, don't touch the brake, and steer the to the right, gently. Don't panic, just take it easy. Again, leave the throttle and brake alone, they're not going to help you in this case. Just focus on steering and getting your rig pointed back in the correct direction.

I'd strongly recommend finding an open parking lot with some snow in it and practicing a bit of sliding.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 77olds
I'd strongly recommend finding an open parking lot with some snow in it and practicing a bit of sliding.
Everyone should do this on the 1st snow fall of the year, it lets you know the condition of the snow (ie, wet snow is slipper, crunchy snow has more traction and if there is ice under it)
Old 12-15-2011, 12:08 PM

just saying that if you are sliding, and you turn into the skid then jump off the gas you'll over correct 10 times out of 10
Old 12-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Year: 1990

i dont know what you have for wheel size, gears, but if ur stock or have 33's but in snow (i have an automatic and 33's so my gears will act different) 3rd gear on straits/start ups and to coast, and to slow down if i'm going over 28mph i down shift into the 1 2 to slow down. if ur going under 28 it'll go into 1st and u the rpms get to high and if u hit a ice patch you'll loose traction. so just mess with your gears in the dry roads. its a lot easier to start going when ur in the "3" on ur shift, it keeps the rpms down.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 77olds

One thing that i love in this world is great advise! I know absoutly nothing about driving in snow so that helped alot! If i see a parking lot with ice when i head up ill deffently take some time to pratice. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gionet
just saying that if you are sliding, and you turn into the skid then jump off the gas you'll over correct 10 times out of 10
Not true. Let off the gas as soon as you feel that you're slipping, THEN correct your steering. Not the other way around.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:24 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

It won't really help with actual ice, but when you come out in the morning and there is that crusty layer of icy snow on your windshield it gets rid of it in no time. And If you are on a wet road your windshield will get dirtier than a $3 hooker, so it is i your best interest to keep it topped off.

Quick Reply: Using wiper fluid in snow?