Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

US and AU Jeeps with dual personalities...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default US and AU Jeeps with dual personalities...

Had a '04 TJ in the States. Loved the thing. Bare bones. The kind where people (friends and family) who are used to heated seats, smooth rides, and doors that stay on ask, 'Why'd you buy that thing?'. Again I say, I absolutely loved it.

Here in Oz, I just bought a '96 Grand Cherokee ZG? ZJ? Limited. Leather/heated seats (with temps getting into 33+º C, who needs it?), power windows, locks, digital screens... it was a bit of an adjustment but the wife needed some comforts so we got the dang thing.

One difference I immediately noticed... Well, first off, the driver side is on the right hand side. One of the first things I do when looking at cars is to look under the hood (the bonnet). I looked for much longer than I should have... Even did one of the body twists, where my body was flipped out and my head was stuck under the steering wheel trying to locate the hood release... For some unknown reason, though the Cherokees were built in Australia since 1996?, the hood release was never changed over - it's still on the passenger side (left side). Every time you want to open the hood, you have to lean over or get out and go to the passenger side and pop the hood :S The interior fuse box also is on the left side (here - by the gas... (un, petrol pedal))...

Been here 'bout a year and still, these little subtleties always catch me off guard. 'Why in the world...' I was actually looking for a thread with this title cuz this would've been a perfect post.

American vehicle built by Australians... Expect to find a Jeep with dual personality.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Stange stuff, my UK XJ was built in the US as a RHD. Bonnet release is on the driver's side and we get H4 Halogens from the factory. I think all UK XJs have the 242 and all 4.0 seem to have a transmission cooler whether they have a hitch or not. There are so many LTD versions over here, probably because Chrysler were fighting hard against Ranger Rovers and Discoveries and a lot of the option boxes were being ticked.
Parts are getting hard to find over here, and not many US sites want to ship to the UK.
At least you can get decent lift kits in AUS, I'm trying to find an OME stockist over here!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Morat talk to serious off road i think he will ship anywhere.