Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default upgrades

i just bought my first 2001 jeep cherokee. everything on it is stock. i was interested in getting a 3" lift for it, but i know nothing about lift kits or anything like that. can anyone tell me what kind of lift kit i should get and what i need for it. also, what kind/ size of tires should i get after the lift.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Moved to Chat.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 PM

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/xj...up-thread-260/
Old 01-26-2012, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

All depends on what your budget is and what type of driving you plan on doing. Give us that info and we can really steer you in the right direction.

Based on the limited info so far though, here's what I would suggest.

Since you're new to lifts here's a simple run down of the basic components for a smaller size lift.
1. Springs: Coil springs up front, leaf springs in the rear. Kits will come with either full leaf packs, or an add-a leaf set up.
2. Shocks: Due to the increased ride height and spring travel, longer shocks are needed.
3. Control arms: The front axle has upper control arms (uca's) and lower control arms (lca's). These keep the axle properly aligned fore/aft. Larger springs will push the axle towards the back of the vehicle, so longer arms are needed to push it back forward.
4. Trac-bar: The trac-bar keeps the front axle centered side-to-side. As the coil springs increase in size, the axle will be pulled to one side due to the steering component being pulled on. An adjustable/relocated track bar will allow the front axle to be centered again.
5. Brake Lines: As the spring size increases the brake lines must also be extended in order to keep them from being stretched/torn as the suspension components travel (i.e. "flex").
6. Shackles: Shackles allow for length changes of a leaf spring. A leaf spring positions the axle under the vehicle, and supports the weight of the vehicle. As a leaf spring flexes up or down, its length from eye to eye changes. Since one end is mounted solidly, and cant move, all the length change happens at one end, which has a shackle between the spring and frame to allow for movement.

The larger the lift, the more components get added, such as transfer case drops (tc drop), slip yoke eliminators (sye), long arms, pitman arms, etc. Since you're looking at a smaller lift, these most likely won't be needed.

Rough Country and Rusty's both make good lifts for those of us on a lower budget. Other companies, such as Rubicon Express and Iron Rock Offroad make really good lifts for a little more, but the parts are generally a little higher quality. If you don't have a budget limit, BDS is the way to go. They make amazing parts and everything is covered by a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty through them. I currently have Rusty's 3" Spring Pack lift kit and am using longer shackles and coil spring spacers to have a total lift of 4". I haven't had a single issue with any of the parts from Rusty's and would highly recommend it for a first lift.

Since you're only looking at 3", your stock control arms and trac-bar will be fine. The only things you will definitely need for a 3" lift will be the front coil springs, the rear leaf springs, a rear brake line extension (the fronts can simple be relocated), shocks, and the trac-bar relocated (simply drill out a new axle mount bolt hole .5" from the factory spot to recenter the axle).
Being that you have a 2001, there's a chance that you will need either a transfer case drop or leaf spring shims to remove potential drive line vibrations. A SYE is the best way to go, but at 3", it's kind of overkill. I would recommend the tc drop to correct any vibrations that may show up.

I would also highly recommend getting a lift that has full leaf packs. A lift with Add-a-Leaf's (an extra leaf is added to your existing leaf spring packs) will be cheaper, but getting the full leaf packs will keep you from having to replace the already used leaf springs sooner.

Last edited by no rdplz; 01-28-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:53 AM

well, i live in the city, but i want to get the lift kit so i can go off-roading. the jeep is my everyday driver, but i want to be able to have fun with it on the weekends. i took your advice and checked out rusty's and found this link.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit

if i bought this, what else would i need?

btw your last post was EXTREMELY informative. i will be referring to it throughout this whole build. thank you
Old 01-28-2012, 06:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tsuth10
well, i live in the city, but i want to get the lift kit so i can go off-roading. the jeep is my everyday driver, but i want to be able to have fun with it on the weekends. i took your advice and checked out rusty's and found this link.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit

if i bought this, what else would i need?

btw your last post was EXTREMELY informative. i will be referring to it throughout this whole build. thank you
That's the same kit i bought from them (minus the tires and rims) and i'm very happy with it. I would be ready to get a tc drop as well. 97+ xj's have a higher tendency to get rear drive line vibes with a 3"+ lift, and the tc drop will help the shaft angle to keep them from happening. Other than that you'll be good to go. Don't forget to relocate the trac-bar when you lift it to center the axle.