Uniden .VS. Midland Entry Level CB

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 H.O.
Default Uniden .VS. Midland Entry Level CB

Hey guys I'm about to finally get a CB radio for my xj. And I need help deciding.
I'm stuck between two choices, after ruling out the cobra 19. Keep in mind I don't want a fancy *** cb radio that costs 100+. I'm willing to buy a power mic later on.
My antenna is a wilson 500, sticking with the whip. whip whip whip.

My choices:
Amazon.com: Midland 1001LWX 40 Channel Mobile CB with ANL, RF Gain, PA, and Weather Scan: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Midland 1001LWX 40 Channel Mobile CB with ANL, RF Gain, PA, and Weather Scan: Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel CB Radio: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel CB Radio: Car Electronics
Old 09-10-2013, 07:11 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I would prefer the Midland for 2 reasons. First, because of the WeatherScan option. Just in case something pops up while your out for the day, you can be alerted. Second, I use to work for a electronics distributor back in the 70's and we sold them. They were a mighty fine radio back then. I believe at least one of those models are still available today.
Skip the power mic. You don't need it.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I got the midland 1001lwx and love it. The weather feature is also nice to have.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Well that's two for midland!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

If you really want the weather, get the midland, but what's cheaper? It's really not about the radio in CB's, it's the antenna, cable, mounting location and tuning. Radios are radios. What features are you looking for, that should be the deciding factor. I have a uniden, cobra mic and external speaker. I wasn't concerned about the extra stuff, I was looking for compact.

What I'm saying is, in the price range most off roaders are in for radios, they are all the same.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 AM
ck1
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by SoCalxJ4.0
If you really want the weather, get the midland, but what's cheaper? It's really not about the radio in CB's, it's the antenna, cable, mounting location and tuning. Radios are radios. What features are you looking for, that should be the deciding factor. I have a uniden, cobra mic and external speaker. I wasn't concerned about the extra stuff, I was looking for compact.

What I'm saying is, in the price range most off roaders are in for radios, they are all the same.
/\ this...it is all about the antenna...i have had "good" radios and had issues with them...my last radio was a "real good" uniden with weather which was nice but it crapped out..i have since gone with a cheap (50.00) radio shack model that works just fine..i have a 4 foot fire stick mounted just above my right tailight and a 25 foot cableto the radio...the longer cable helps with the broad range of channels...a shorter cable is ok but can limit your receiving and transmitting across all channels.....the trick is tuning your antenna correctly...all stock cb radios are 5 watts max so unless you need or want other features such as weather etc a cheapo radio with a good and correctly tuned antenna will serve you just fine
Cameron

Last edited by ck1; 09-11-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling :(
Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ck1
/\ this...it is all about the antenna...i have had "good" radios and had issues with them...my last radio was a "real good" uniden with weather which was nice but it crapped out..i have since gone with a cheap (50.00) radio shack model that works just fine..i have a 4 foot fire stick mounted just above my right tailight and a 25 foot cableto the radio...the longer cable helps with the broad range of channels...a shorter cable is ok but can limit your receiving and transmitting across all channels.....the trick is tuning your antenna correctly...all stock cb radios are 5 watts max so unless you need or want other features such as weather etc a cheapo radio with a good and correctly tuned antenna will serve you just fine
Cameron
Yeh, I did a little bit of reading. I'm more probing for members that had their cb radios fail on them, or totally have shoddy quality.
I'm using a wilson 500.