Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Types of Long Arms

So I'm considering as a future mod putting some long arms on my XJ. It's sitting at about 5 inches right now, which is plenty for my needs, so I'd just be swapping the short arm setup for long arms (some longer travel shocks would probably happen too but that's beside the point). Due to the cost of long arm kits I'd like to attempt to fab this myself.

OK, so that's the idea; now I need some help. I'm new to long arms and don't know what the various set-ups look like. I need a definition of the various type of long arms out there, pros and cons of each, and which ones would be the easiest/best to DIY? I know someone is going to scream search at me but I did and couldn't really find what I was looking for. I know this is a bit of a noob question but wth.

Thanks y'all in advance.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by EagleXJ
So I'm considering as a future mod putting some long arms on my XJ. It's sitting at about 5 inches right now, which is plenty for my needs, so I'd just be swapping the short arm setup for long arms (some longer travel shocks would probably happen too but that's beside the point). Due to the cost of long arm kits I'd like to attempt to fab this myself.

OK, so that's the idea; now I need some help. I'm new to long arms and don't know what the various set-ups look like. I need a definition of the various type of long arms out there, pros and cons of each, and which ones would be the easiest/best to DIY? I know someone is going to scream search at me but I did and couldn't really find what I was looking for. I know this is a bit of a noob question but wth.

Thanks y'all in advance.
Dirtbound offroad has a kit for $380 with all the materials to fab your own mid-arm setup. It has the same one-sided y-arm design as the IRO long arms, but that doesn't necessarily bother me...been thinking about that too, or having a local fab guy do a custom setup.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

heres a thread I started a while ago. Lead foot and serious offroad put a lot of good info.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...qually-156124/

Pretty much with long arms your going to look at radius arms, which are the cheaper option. Theyll have an upper arm connected to the lower arms. Its better to run only one upper arm even though most come with 2 because of binding.

The best is the true 3 link option. It has 1 full length upper that connects to the cross member just like the lowers.

Then theres a 4 link, same idea as a 3 link but ive heard are mostly for rigs that like to go really fast
The following users liked this post:
TBURTTXJ420 (05-23-2020)
Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mattphillips90
heres a thread I started a while ago. Lead foot and serious offroad put a lot of good info.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...qually-156124/

Pretty much with long arms your going to look at radius arms, which are the cheaper option. Theyll have an upper arm connected to the lower arms. Its better to run only one upper arm even though most come with 2 because of binding.

The best is the true 3 link option. It has 1 full length upper that connects to the cross member just like the lowers.

Then theres a 4 link, same idea as a 3 link but ive heard are mostly for rigs that like to go really fast
Thanks! Lots of good info there. Seeing as the Y-link set-up looks the simplest, I'm leaning towards that. How does this flex though in comparison with say a 4-link set up?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 PM

Thanks! Lots of good info there. Seeing as the Y-link set-up looks the simplest, I'm leaning towards that. How does this flex though in comparison with say a 4-link set up?
Fewer attachment points to the axle = less binding = moar flex.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

ive seen videos of rear 4 links that will almost get perpendicular with the frame. radius are a good starting point. Thats what im running now and I have no complaints. If your not ready to really make your xj ready for long arms as in very expensive shocks that wont limit your travel, and limiting straps and the such, id say radius are fine.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

So I saw some Y-link set-ups, but they only had 3 links. Would this flex the same as a 3-link where the upper control arms attach to the body? Sorry it that's a bit confusing.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

you mean only one upper? Thats what i run. but I cant answer your question on the comparison, never actually ran a true 3 link. i mean i get more flex than ive ever had or really have set my cherokee up for at the moment haha
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 PM

So I saw some Y-link set-ups, but they only had 3 links. Would this flex the same as a 3-link where the upper control arms attach to the body? Sorry it that's a bit confusing.
Educated guess would be the 3-link, since the upper link can move independently of the lower long arm...

But in all honestly, I'm guessing guys like you & I would never tell the difference in flex between any of these setups. The guys like ktm and lead foot probably would seeing how much experience they have in suspension setups. Like someone else stated, unless you get spendy with some ridiculous shocks and know the ins and outs of bump stops & limiting staps you'll never fully get the most flex out of it.

Then there's the trackbar and steering setup. As I understand that's the true limitation for our flex in the readily available long arm systems. I believe it was lead foot who detailed using a triangulated 3-link to get rid of the trackbar and using hydro steering...but I won't even begin to pretend that is in the plans for my XJ.

I'd personally like a 3-link, but may end up settling for a radius arm setup. I'm still undecided, which is good, cause I got to spend my money on getting it lifted first...
Old 03-27-2013, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...tomers-gallery
Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

"due to the cost of long arm kits..."

I must have gone over the price and labor it would take to build a decent long arm or 3 link ten times over and made half a dozen threads asking about it
it is way cheaper/easier to buy an after market long arm kit. just find one in your price range and get it and be happy. theres no necessary reason to put anything custom on a stock axle and 31" tires. after adding up actual costs to build a suspension, you'll find that all the aftermarket stuff is very reasonably priced. and you dont have to figure out your own crossmember
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM

It can be done. I am in the process of building mine. I have spent right around 250 on materials so as long as my labor isnt over 500 its worth it lol
Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Id have to disagree.
It was cheaper for me to make my 3 link.

While I didnt pay for the fabrication work or the time put in to install it I still came out cheaper than if I was to go buy a kit.

I run a custom cross member, welded to the unibody, heims on the xmember side, poly bushings (for the time being) on the axle end).
Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Xj88
Id have to disagree.
It was cheaper for me to make my 3 link.

While I didnt pay for the fabrication work or the time put in to install it I still came out cheaper than if I was to go buy a kit.

I run a custom cross member, welded to the unibody, heims on the xmember side, poly bushings (for the time being) on the axle end).
I thought I read (from Lead Foot) that 3-links should have hard links on the axle end? Is that more of a rule of thumb rather than a hard requirement? Is your 3-link designed to eliminate the track bar? In this scenario I would think there could be side-to-side stress/vibes on the poly bushings...

Not to question your design, just trying to learn in case I decide to do the same.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

xj88 and nathan I said DECENT long arms .!....!.

really xj88 it's cheaper for clayton to build you a custom 3 link? are you trussing the D30, beefy LCA mounts? theres no way that could be cheaper than buying a set of serious long arms

Quick Reply: Types of Long Arms