Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turbo from another car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V6
Default Turbo from another car?

Im doin a project at my school and i can have a turbo put on for free. Now my cold air intake was ment for a civic and all i had to do is cut some of the pipe. Could i get any turbo and just get some custom tube to run to the trottle body? Id only run it at like 5psi so i dont think id need an intercooler especially if i get a cowl hood while doin it
I just dont know anything really about em

Last edited by DUDE454; 08-30-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by DUDE454
Im doin a project at my school and i can have a turbo put on for free. Now my cold air intake was ment for a civic and all i had to do is cut some of the pipe. Could i get any turbo and just get some custom tube to run to the trottle body? Id only run it at like 5psi so i dont think id need an intercooler especially if i get a cowl hood while doin it
No.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

LOL @ cold air intake on a Jeep - watch them puddles.

Intercoolers have nothing to do with boost level - they have everything to do with air charge temps.

I still haven't figured out why anyone would want to turbo a vehicle that is wheeled - but that may answer my question right there in this case.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Drew M
LOL @ cold air intake on a Jeep - watch them puddles.
My dumbass swapped the CAI out of my 2wd and put it on my wheeling rig, went through some bumper deep water and was instantly made aware of the error in my judgement lol
Old 08-30-2011, 05:08 PM

Built my own sheild around the cold air intake, and id only do the turbo because itd be free, but not one made specifically for a cherokee
Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 litre

I would say do it. Then if you don't like it you can take it off. What do you have to loose? Also why cant you run a snorkel with a turbo?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by jeep bandit
I would say do it. Then if you don't like it you can take it off. What do you have to loose? Also why cant you run a snorkel with a turbo?

sounds logical enough... take the air from inside the cab to prevent as much contamination as possible.

if we all built the same rig wheeling would be lame.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by DUDE454
Built my own sheild around the cold air intake
Good - if it isn't outside of the engine compartment it isn't a "cold air intake" because the air under the hood is anything but.

Hopefully your "shield" is sealed.

Wheeling is mostly spent utilizing low end torque. Turbos develop higher-end horsepower.

Imagine crawling up over a rock at 1500-2000RPM and your turbo spools up and instantly spins you to 3500+RPM . . .
Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 PM

I know the turbo is for more high rpm power, but again, itd be free so why not if itll fit. Help in the dirt track races too
Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Would I do it? No, but it's his jeep, let him do what he wants to it.

If it's free do it. Or just take it and sell it for some jeep money!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

Turbo it!!! Just think about what makes a diesel powerful: the turbo, and diesels make their power down low.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

lol everyone is giving their opinion on wether he should do it or not and not actually answering his question. IMHO i would check out 2gstratus.org and look in their forced induction part of the forum. they turbo 2.4s and alot of those guys a really knowledgeable in FI. and you can tell em "xmoparx" sent you
Old 08-30-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Illuminator
Turbo it!!! Just think about what makes a diesel powerful: the turbo, and diesels make their power down low.
Incorrect.

It is the ridiculous compression and subsequent thermal efficiency of such a high ratio that develop the massive low-end grunt (And makes the diesel so powerful).

The turbo helps but not every diesel has one - and a turbo on a diesel isn't subject to the same lag issues as one on a gas engine because in order to keep the gas engine from self-destructung at boost levels the compression ratio is very low - basically rendering the engine nothing more than a means to spool up the turbo at low RPMs. Diesels make low end torque so the lag isn't anywhere near as noticeable.

The reason so many diesels have turbos is because there is no limit to how much boost they can run like there is with a gasoline engine.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: I've had a few...
Engine: A secret

Do what you want. it's your car.

now if it was mine and I had the time/money I would put a SMALL turbo and an inter cooler.

Why? Cause a smaller turbo will spin at a lower rpm. if you get a big turbo it wont kick on till ~2200 rpm, but with a tiny one from a VW 1.8t engine on an i6, it will kick on around 1300rpm witch is almost idle rpm in drive.

oh and I don't go threw puddles or rocks. I ride sand.

I always wanted to put a supercharger on one, but I can't afford a kit and I don't want to lose power steering or A/C. Maybe i'll run dbl electric fans and move some stuff around. :\ dreaming.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by Evil Drew M
Incorrect.

It is the ridiculous compression and subsequent thermal efficiency of such a high ratio that develop the massive low-end grunt (And makes the diesel so powerful).

The turbo helps but not every diesel has one - and a turbo on a diesel isn't subject to the same lag issues as one on a gas engine because in order to keep the gas engine from self-destructung at boost levels the compression ratio is very low - basically rendering the engine nothing more than a means to spool up the turbo at low RPMs. Diesels make low end torque so the lag isn't anywhere near as noticeable.

The reason so many diesels have turbos is because there is no limit to how much boost they can run like there is with a gasoline engine.

Sounds like you know a little bit about a turbo car.

However, if the setup was done correctly, it would be amazing, and would have a beautifully linear power band. All these guys slapping on random turbos will get the result your discussing, that sudden boost hit.

But, again, if you really know what your doing and you take the time to do it right, it can be done on a 4.0 Jeep motor with great results.

Quick Reply: Turbo from another car?