Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default tranny 1-2 shift

in drive its smooth an perfect,od, tq lock/unlock, downshift. but someone asked if it shifted when i put it in 1-2 which i had never done. it does not shift there. ? has to do with nss? he thought.
i get a cel for nss but have zero trouble there lites work,it starts normal in pk and neut.
is it tranny or nss switch?
any reason for concern if i see no trouble and i do not use 1-2 position,no crawling.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

In 1-2 it should up shift at 4k rpms. Until I serviced my NSS mine would upshift almost immediately or not go over 2500rpm without shifting. I didn't relate the problem to the NSS switch which I serviced because of not having backup lights for a good while and eventually because of a not starting in Park problem. So at least for me and IMO the first hint of my NSS needing serviced was the incorrect way it shifted in 1-2.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

yep like it was said you have to push it almost to red line in order to shift to second. if you've never done it before, when it finallyshifts you get a nice little acceleration and you can feel the torque of the 4.0L, atleast it did surprise me at first!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:17 PM
Banned

Default couple questions left

ok, thanks guys. i just drive in "d" or normal. so im ok if the tranny shifts right everywhere else?
i guess i dont understand how much affect the nss sw has but i have the connection chart and it looks like im ok in "drive" huh?
btw i love how gutsy the 4.0 is and my tranny shifting good right now, fun machine.

oh, i dont think i ever hit 4000! going easy.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:56 AM
CF Veteran

You'll be fine.............................................. ...............................for now.

If you haven't lost your back up lights yet you will and then eventually you'll have a "starting in Park problem. Servicing the NSS isn't bad at all.

I use the 1-2 position a lot in hunting season and when traveling certain steep roads around here. Beats having to ride the brakes or having to use low range. Always had a granny low 1st gear in my other 4x4's.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by EZEARL
...Servicing the NSS isn't bad at all.
Unless you live in a salt belt region...I spent over 3 hours trying to pry mine off(seriously engineers...salt+aluminum+steel=welded fairly permanently), the nut ripped the treads off, prying behind it cracked the plastic and eventually I had to take an air chisel to cut the thing into pieces to get it off...it was a nightmare, luckily you can find them New with warranty on eBay pretty cheap so I had already bought one.

Originally Posted by EZEARL
I use the 1-2 position a lot in hunting season and when traveling certain steep roads around here. Beats having to ride the brakes or having to use low range. Always had a granny low 1st gear in my other 4x4's.
I think when engine braking in 4lo 1-2 it'll shift sooner, I swear I've been using it as hill decent control and around 3k rpms it shifted with a nice lurch increasing speed and another lurch once the torque converter got back up to speed...might have been before I replaced my NSS though...On throttle mine definitely shifts near 4.5K

Last edited by rcguymike; 05-25-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

D**N!! Maybe I should add once/if you get it off it isn't bad at all.

You might be right about its shift in low range even after the NSS service. Never tried it but I'll give it a go.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:18 AM
Banned

ok guys. i have a new one but since its all ok now i procrastinate! blaming the bad weather. mine is kinda oily so it may come off ez? when i get a "round" tuit.
i found you can screwdriver start anytime even if it got to that point!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
ok guys. i have a new one but since its all ok now i procrastinate! blaming the bad weather. mine is kinda oily so it may come off ez? when i get a "round" tuit.
i found you can screwdriver start anytime even if it got to that point!
Haha yup, I carried cardboard and a screwdriver around for a few weeks before i fixed mine(had ignition switch go out too). Wearing office cloths crawling under the Jeep in the parking lot to short the starter contacts to commute...bet I got some funny looks...lol
Old 05-25-2017, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rcguymike
Haha yup, I carried cardboard and a screwdriver around for a few weeks before i fixed mine(had ignition switch go out too). Wearing office cloths crawling under the Jeep in the parking lot to short the starter contacts to commute...bet I got some funny looks...lol
oh yeah.

hey, im 6 ft and i stretch and do it from top.
actually when i put the new starter in i extended the sol wire up near battery with a wire nut, i can touch it on batt + and crank away,no keys no nss , nuttin!
im ready for next time...