Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Track Bar Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Track Bar Question?

So the other day I took my jeep into a tire shop to get the tires balanced and rotated. They told me that the track bar was shot. Well I had just gotten the jeep so I looked at the track bar and I saw that it was an aftermarket adjustable one. I was wondering if I could just replace the bushings in the track bar or do I have to go ahead and buy a new track bar? If I can just replace the bushings do I just get oem ones because I have no idea what the track bar is in the sense of who made it. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Cherokee1129
So the other day I took my jeep into a tire shop to get the tires balanced and rotated. They told me that the track bar was shot. Well I had just gotten the jeep so I looked at the track bar and I saw that it was an aftermarket adjustable one. I was wondering if I could just replace the bushings in the track bar or do I have to go ahead and buy a new track bar? If I can just replace the bushings do I just get oem ones because I have no idea what the track bar is in the sense of who made it. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.
Throw up a couple of pics, but as a general rule you can replace most ends on aftermarket bars. I have a Rustys bar and it uses replaceable ends, I could get them at the auto parts store if needed.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:17 PM

And if anyone can tell me what kind of track bar it is wld he appreciated.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:30 PM

Year: 1999

Man! And I thought I had some rust!

My question is why did they say the track bar is bad? That would be helpful info. Also, what brand is the lift. Usually it's the same as the rest of the components
Old 04-26-2015, 09:34 PM

I see JKS quick disconnects and silver coils which doesn't help much. There are a lot of companies that use silver coils. RC and RE to name a few. What brand are the shocks?

Long story short, you shouldn't need to replace the whole thing. If anything you might have to get some components.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

I would replace the whole thing because it looks all rusted to hell. But there's no reason you can't just replace the bushings. Just find out what brand it is, call the company up, and ask for some.

Besides, if you go double-shear on that bad boy, you'll love it.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:15 AM

Well i saw that the sway bar links are made from jks. I would assume that is what everything is made from. what do you all think? And does anyone know if i could just put oem bushings that i could get from car quest in it?
Old 04-27-2015, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Many people use parts from different vendors for their lifts. You need to remove it and check the bushings along with the holes to see if they are elongated or enlarged causing a problem where its attached.

You should be able to replace the bushings, but remove it first then take photos and post "maybe" then we can help with a brand name. The better brands have replaceable bushings many from the vendor or over the counter, others do not.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:32 PM

I just ordered a new one from rough country. That way i know that everything is good and i dont have the time and resources to be able to keep taking it on and off all the time because i am in college. I would rather just take it off and put a new one on so i know that it is good to go. Thanks for all the help anyway.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cherokee1129
I just ordered a new one from rough country. That way i know that everything is good and i dont have the time and resources to be able to keep taking it on and off all the time because i am in college. I would rather just take it off and put a new one on so i know that it is good to go. Thanks for all the help anyway.
Can't go wrong with that. Still didn't answer why the alignment shop said you need a new one, but good luck getting it swapped out. Shouldn't be too big a deal, but I'd definitely recommend using PB blaster on the bolts in your case.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by t_long
Can't go wrong with that. Still didn't answer why the alignment shop said you need a new one, but good luck getting it swapped out. Shouldn't be too big a deal, but I'd definitely recommend using PB blaster on the bolts in your case.
Ohh yeah that is what i am doing. LOL. I have already started spraying them with PB already. I am also doing the sway bar bushings on the frame.